1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

OK. I have done the 1.1.6 upgrade with UBL on my Robo3d R1
    Marlin_116_UBL_PLUS
    Just have a few questions as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to GCode.
    I have run the M502 and M500 commands and when through the PID process. Updated the configuration.h file with the output and uploaded to the Atmega.
    I have now run the G29 A, G29 P1 and then G29 S1
    Do I do another M500 or does the G29 S1 save the same way? Also if i did run a M502 would this wipe the G29 points gathered using G29 P1?
    Last thing. Now that I have done this I have set my startup Gcode as follows. I tried a test print but the print started about 10mm of the print bed. Here is my startup code
    G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm

M851 Z0.7 ; Set the Z probe offset

G29 L1 ; Load the mesh stored in slot 1 (from G29 S1)

Any ideas about the 10mm print height?

2. mamejay

mamejay Member

OK. I went through the process again and getting a little closer. next issue is now that when the Z axis goes to the next layer it comes up too much. I have a 3rd party lead screw upgrade. I have un-commented the line #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 1600, 800 } // Default steps per unit for RoboR1 TR8*2 [BH]
    Looks like this is not getting applied correctly. Any advice?

Here is the output of a M503

[...]Send: M503

Recv: echo: G21 ; Units in mm

Recv: echo: M149 C ; Units in Celsius

Recv:

Recv: echo:Filament settings: Disabled

Recv: echo: M200 D1.75

Recv: echo: M200 D0

Recv: echo:Steps per unit:

Recv: echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z1600.00 E800.00

Recv: echo:Maximum feedrates (units/s):

Recv: echo: M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z50.00 E25.00

Recv: echo:Maximum Acceleration (units/s2):

Recv: echo: M201 X900 Y900 Z300 E10000

Recv: echo:Acceleration (units/s2): P<print_accel> R<retract_accel> T<travel_accel>

Recv: echo: M204 P600.00 R3000.00 T3000.00

Recv: echo:Advanced: S<min_feedrate> T<min_travel_feedrate> B<min_segment_time_ms> X<max_xy_jerk> Z<max_z_jerk> E<max_e_jerk>

Recv: echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X14.00 Y14.00 Z0.40 E5.00

Recv: echo:Home offset:

Recv: echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00

Recv: echo:Unified Bed Leveling:

Recv: echo: M420 S0 Z10.00

Recv:

Recv: Unified Bed Leveling System v1.01 inactive.

Recv:

Recv: Active Mesh Slot: -1

Recv: z_offset: 0.000000

Recv: EEPROM can hold 17 meshes.

Recv:

Recv: echo:Material heatup parameters:

Recv: echo: M145 S0 H210 B55 F128

Recv: M145 S1 H235 B80 F0

Recv: echo:pID settings:

Recv: echo: M301 P40.62 I4.91 D84.02

Recv: echo: M304 P695.46 I116.30 D1039.72

Recv: echo:Z-Probe Offset (mm):

Recv: echo: M851 Z-1.00

Recv: ok

#242 mamejay, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here are the instructions for UBL http://marlinfw.org/docs/features/unified_bed_leveling.html

If you reset to firmware defaults using M502 and then follow that with an M500 it remove the UBL values. If you just issue M502 by itself it will only restore firmware values for this session (until you physically power off the printer). I believe M502 by itself will also turn off UBL but the mesh is still stored in EEPROM so it could be re-enabled.

Without knowing the specs of your third party lead screw I am not sure if you are using the correct number of steps for the Z axis. That 1600 number is a calculated number based on the number of steps the stepper motor has and the amount of rotation needed to lift 1 mm. If you know the lead screw specifications you can calculate the number yourself using the Prusa Lead Screw Calculator https://www.prusaprinters.org/calculator/#stepspermmlead

4. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hmmm. Strange as I purchased the same lead screws as your other guide you posted up. My old Robo firmware had the following value and was working
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,1600,723.38}
    I did change 723.38 to 800 as per your advice as you mentioned this is actually closer to the correct value.
    I will see if I can dig up where I purchased the lead screw from and hopefully they still have it listed so I can ensure that it was the same
    This is the lead screw I purchased
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-600...hash=item3ad08d8fc6:m:mKHpnVNH3Hk95_WrQ-spcEg

#244 mamejay, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

6. mamejay

mamejay Member

I just checked and it has the same specs listed as the one Waldo grabbed.
    Screw diameter: approx. 8mm
    Screw spacing: approx. 2mm
    Lead of thread: approx. 8mm

Is there something I am missing?

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mamejay Make sure that only one of the DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT defines is uncommented, maybe use the Upload a File button to upload you're Configuration.h to see if there is something incorrect.

When you say Z comes up too much, is it double what it should be? Too much is just an observation not a precise measurement, If you home then in terminal issue G1 Z10 are you at 10 or are you at 20? My initial guess is that they are not 8*2 since I have never seen linear steppers with that threading. The bulk of them are 8*4 as are the ones that come with the R1+PLUS, If you change the 1600 to 800 does G1 Z10 result in actually 10 mm of movement?

8. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hi Waldo,
    For now I have had to roll back firmware as I need to do some printing for a project.
    For the Z axis it looks to be double. if I raise the Z axis by 10mm it raises to 20mm or thereabouts.
    I will let you know the outcome of the G1 Z10 command once I get my work finished.
    Thanks for your help.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mamejay, that is exactly what I suspected. You are set to 1600 steps and you should be set to 800. That tells me that you bought the more common TR8*4 Linear Steppers.

So then just use the line in Configuration.h as if you have a R1+Plus, which is correctly set to 800 steps.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mamejay

mamejay Member

OK. I actually have a R1 and not a plus. I rolled back my firmware and am printing again using the old ABL. Now i checked my configuration.h file and I am currently set to 400 and not 800 or 1600. I have no idea what is going on. I really thought the rods I bought where the same spec as the ones you got.
    Can you please link me to the correct threaded rods that you have used?
    Are they these ones?
    https://www.banggood.com/400mm-T8-L...th-Copper-Nut-3D-Printer-Z-Axis-p-979643.html
    Just want to make sure I get this mode installed correct. Should be easy enough for me to change over as I have already printed off the parts required so will just be a quick rod change.
    Thanks

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

12. mamejay

mamejay Member

Thanks for that. They just look exactly the same as what I got and have the same specs on them. Is there a difference with the r1plus and r1 models? Currently value of 400 seems to be working

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If 400 is working then you got a different thread pitch. TR8*8 would be 400 off the top of my head. To give you some perspective the second number is how much linear movement per rotation,so a full rotation of the stepper motor would move Z 8 mm you have motors that are 200 whole steps x 16 microsteps per whole step, so a full rotation of the stepper requires 3200 microsteps. If you only want to move 1 mm that is 1/8 of a rotation or 3200 / 8 = 400 microsteps. That is how the Prusa calc figures it out.

If you use the ones I linked to you get only 2 mm of linear travel per rotation, so to move 1 mm you need 1600 microsteps.

All of this is only important for very small movements but please note that our printers and any consumer grade printer or kit is simply not capable for consistently small movements. For example your current TR8*8 if you were to only move 1 whole step that would be a movement of 0.04 mm, probably much smaller than any layer you would ever use. If you use the TR8*2 that I linked to each whole step would be 0.01 mm of movement.

The reason I mention whole steps, the stepper is designed and configured to stop precisely at each whole step. 3D printers add a power divider that breaks down the current required for whole steps into 16 divisions, those are not precise and are only electrically held in place. So figure out if you want 0.04 mm resolution or 0.01 mm resolution when you make your choice of which lead screws to purchase and use.

14. Rod Smith

Rod Smith Member

As somebody who works in the software industry, I can say that your logic is deeply flawed. Software bugs often interact with user settings, user-specific environmental issues, other software, how the user interacts with the software, etc. Bugs that affect just a few people are actually quite common.

FWIW, I adjusted my end-of-job g-code, removing a "G0 Z15" command from my OctoPrint setup's end-of-job script. This seems to have eliminated the problem of the X-axis skewing in Z at the end of a print. If this line of code was the cause of the problem, then either I badly misunderstand what that g-code should do or there's a bug in the firmware that's causing this command, when issued after the print job has completed, to raise only one of the two Z-axis screws. Note that this problem did not occur with the stock firmware, just with the Marlin 1.1.6 firmware, which is why I think it's a bug in the firmware rather than, say, a hardware design flaw.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Not a firmware issue, at least not as supplied in this thread. My suggestion is that if you do not need any of the advanced features of the latest Marlin stick to the Robo supplied firmware.

#255 WheresWaldo, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  16. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One or two Z steppers...

A story:

With an R1 this is only possible with a hardware failure, with the R1+ it is possible with misconfigured firmware (although a bad stepper driver would still be my guess).

This is because on the R1 the RAMPS dual-Z stepper driver was used (the Z stepper driver on the RAMPS 1.4 board is designed to drive two steppers at once) and on the R1+ (for whatever reason) Robo switched to using the Z stepper to drive one Z motor and the spare extruder stepper to drive the other.

17. Joejsorrells

Joejsorrells New Member

Hey everyone,
    So I bought a slighty used R1+ a few months ago and things have been going ok. I decided to upgrade to the XXL screen and oem E3D V6. I'm starting to have major bed leveling issues like many of these replies I have read. So I started the process of trying to upgrade to Marlin but I'm having issues understanding the process of loading the firmware from Arduino IDE to the printer. I made some headway with the link with the COM port and made the change in the coding. Im now getting an error "Pins for this chip not defined". I don't think I'm a total idiot but reading through these post and some of the github walkthroughs seems like I'm trying to read spanish in German. There's a lot of discussions about MESH, ABL and UBL and it gets confusing at times. Sorry if I'm in the wrong forum but is there someone out there that can give me some advice.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Make sure in your IDE you have selected Tools >> Board: Arduino Genuine Mega or Mega 2560 and make sure the programmer is AVRISP mkII

19. seelenamt

seelenamt New Member

Marlin 1.1.7 is now out. I was struggling with Marlin 1.1.5 (UBL stuff) on my R1 (not plus) before leaving it for a few months to focus on classes. Is 1.1.6 any better as far as UBL and the like are concerned?

Also, thanks for putting up the configured 1.1.6 file @WheresWaldo

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@danzca6 is working on 1.1.7, I would ask him about that, there are quite a few improvements in UBL and streamlining code.