1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer My Robo R1 Plus is printing, but it sorta skips around

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Theresa, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Theresa

Theresa New Member

So it was working fine and printing great, but it suddenly got caught on part of the bottom of a print I wanted to do. (A groot body.) After I canceled the print it gave me this error saying the extruder wasn't heating up anymore. After some research I learned to export my files or logs. (First 3D printer complete noob here. I don't know all the language.) Anyway, I took a photo of some M999 error. The solution to the error I found was something about the g-code and inserting a number of some sort. So I didn't want to mess things up and decided to shut everything down, clean the bed and unplug all the cables hoping it would go back to normal and it did. The extruder started heating up again. However, afterwords the print began to not lay as much filament, almost as if it were skipping around the bed. I also have another photo of that. I tried to do just a lego piece and it did the same thing as well. After a couple of tries it ended up printing the lego perfectly fine, but it started doing it again. So it wasn't the model.

At this point, the filament was hardly showing up at all in my tests, and then stopped coming out altogether. =/ I realized it was completely clogged. Watched some YouTube videos and sure enough it was. I managed to follow a tutorial and unlclog the extruder. After I hooked everything back up the filament was back to it's slight dribble when heated like it was before. However, whenever I went to print the bed kept raising up on me and printing in the air. So I spent another good hour or so troubleshooting that. Found a video that literally saved me. When I had manually moved the motor up to take apart the extruder I didn't keep the bars level enough for Matter Control to self level. So the carriage was not on both sensors and it just kept raising. Moved one slightly and sure enough it went back to normal.

So, after the extruder was level again, the filament was unclogged and the print started again it still isn't laying the filament like it was before. It all worked fine until the incident with the heating in the extruder stopping. I imagine that after the filament wasn't laying properly it clogged the extruder, but I have no idea. I also don't know what else to try. I really want to make a body for my baby Groot head. Which turned out amazing. And I didn't change any settings on that.

Also, I uploaded some of the logs. I stopped getting the heating error after I shut down and restarted, but I still keep getting a line error (Error:Line Number is not Last Line Number+1, Last Line: 25 [52.330]) I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Please help, baby Groot needs his body.

- Theresa

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not really an error, just a slicer screw up -- should still print fine. The others I am still looking at.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

<-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print!

That is your actual error. This invariably a problem with the thermistor reading the extruder temperature.
    Either the thermistor is bad or the wiring to it is loose or has a bad connection. The firmware sees a sudden drop in temperature and raises this error killing the print. Even if it is a momentary drop that immediately returns to reading correctly... your print is now dead.

So check the wiring to the thermistor and the thermistor itself at the hotend.

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The error thrown is rather new to Marlin it was added more recently... It is well intended, but poorly implemented. They need to have the firmware track it over time and report it if it drops for more than say 1 second or two seconds... whatever. This drop can be so quick / intermittent that the program you are printing with may never even see it... The firmware did though :)

Geof likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you are worried about this, replace the USB cable with a new one. This error can happen with a glitch in the communications between the printer and computer. In some cases adding a USB hub between the printer and computer is needed (that usually only matters if the 'PC' is actually a Mac or Apple)

And to be clear the error I am talking about here is this one: Error:Line Number is not Last Line Number+1

#5 mark tomlinson, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Theresa and Geof like this.
  6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

So, the thermostat is causing the skipping around? I just tried and the heat stayed the same on the extruder, but the print still wasn't wanting to come out. I feel like maybe the bed is too close to the extruder or something.

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Oh and do you think this has anything to do with the Z offset?

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I don't know what Marlin is. So basically, even if the temp changes slightly for a second the firmware catches it and shuts the printer down? Because I haven't had an issue since then with the heating element. I just can't get the filament to come out right. It started to skip the bed and made a clicky noise, even before my other issues it printed okay. I'll see if I have the video of what it did.

9. Theresa

Theresa New Member

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Theresa Marlin is the firmware that allows the printer to accept your sliced model and actually print it. There is a timer in Marlin for both bed and extruder temp. The timer starts when the temp drops or climbs 1°C away from your requested temperature. If the temperature stays there or moves further away for a period of time it will report something is wrong and stop the print.

The reason it is there is so that you don't have a situation where you clog your printer when it gets too cold to extrude or you burn something up if the temperature keeps climbing.

Usually, it doesn't matter is if drops a bit, but there are situations for example where you might have an intermittent short or break in a wire to the Thermistor. A momentary short might make the firmware (that's Marlin again) think the temperature shot up to 300+ degrees, even for just that instant. A momentary break would make the firmware believe that your temperature dropped to 0°C even for an instant. That same firmware does not report every instance of temperature it measures, because it is not like you and I and cannot multi-task, so if it spent all its time telling you the temperature it wouldn't have any time to actually print anything. That is why you might never see it in your log output, host control program or your LCD screen.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are potentially a number of problems you might be experiencing. The lack of material being extruded could be a clog or it could simply be the Z offset is incorrect. The thermistor is causing the temperature fell too much error, etc. Focus on one problem at a time. If you don't fix the thermistor issues you will never get a print to work even if we get past whatever is keeping it from extruding. There is an FAQ thread in this forum as well that you might want to look over. Many common issues are discussed there and the videos posted here are perfect for you to review as they will help you become more familiar with the printer as well: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/helpful-videos-novice-expert.7478/