1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Burnt wires under print bed

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by hey8you, Dec 26, 2017.

1. hey8you

hey8you New Member

I recently started having heating issues in the print bed. It would sometimes work and other times not. I check the wires last week but saw no issues and just assumed it was a loose plug on the print bed side.

Well, today I was sitting in the other room when I heard the printer get real loud. When I entered the room, I noticed the print head(or what ever its called, lol) had raised up off my 3d print and moved/crashed into the right side. After killing the power, I removed the print bed and saw the mess. The wires burnt all they way through and most likely shorted out as it was being converted to fire. Other then replacing the bed and wires, would this cause any other damage?

This is a R1 and not the plus. Is it worth trying to fix or should I upgrade?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Probably needs a new heater at this point, trying to get one that exact size will be tricky (you can call Robo, but I would not hold my breath on them having one). A generic one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Signswise-200x200mm-Silicone-Heating-Printer/dp/B00ZP3XCS4

would work, but it is only about 8" square. If you wire it like the stock one you need 150w or less, but if you put a relay in there so the RAMPS turns a relay on/off rather than directly heating the bed then you can put whatever wattage/size you wanted and connect it to an external power supply (or A/C if you get a 110v heater)

hey8you and Geof like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'd run all new wires back to the RAMPS board too just to be safe.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

For sure replace as @mark tomlinson said above. Id call robo amd show them the photos :)

5. dbvanhorn

dbvanhorn Active Member

WOAH! That was scary. If you're going to rewire I would suggest replacing that stuff with silver/teflon wire. Commonly available on Ebay, it will take a lot more heat than normal PVC wire. I'm going to take this as a warning and at minimum inspect mine.

There is a pretty good article out there called "Low Voltage, the incompetent ignition source" which is good reading. I ran into it after investigating a design failure where a consumer product PCB was shown to be capable of failing in such a way that it would sustain a fire, even though all it's safety devices were working perfectly.

6. hey8you

hey8you New Member

I sent them an e-mail yesterday to see if they have one or not. Does the heater also have the temp sensor in it or do I pull the one off mine and swap it over? If mine was damaged, is there a recommended one to get?

Would it be worth getting a higher wattage heating pad? I don't do much printing. I had this printer for several years and I barely use it. I only use it when I want to make something I need.

I sent them a link to this posting so they can see my pics.

It was, lol. It set off my smoke detector and my alarm system tried to call me but I was already on my phone so I didn't get the call. When I make a new wire harness, ill use silver/teflon wire.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless you switch the heater to an external power supply you do not have enough wattage to support a much larger wattage unit. The stock power supply has enough head-room for about 120-150w of bed heater (and 150w is pushing it) You can swap the stock power supply (to a 400w unit) for about $40 and then you could go for as much as 200w -- maybe a bit more.

8. hey8you

hey8you New Member

I ended up buying the one from the link you provided. With the amount of printing I do, I think I can get away with the 150w one. Thanks for your help. Ill update this post when I get it.

9. hey8you

hey8you New Member

Someone from Robo3D got back to me. They don't sell it separately so I ended up getting a new print bed. I still going to keep the one from amazon so now I'll have 2 working beds.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Spare parts are always good :)

11. hey8you

hey8you New Member

Well, I guess i'm an idiot. I should have taken apart my printer first before ordering anything. I took the bottom cover off so I can see how the heating pad is wired. As I remove the plastic cover I hear something fall out. The black thing(first pic below) fell out. What is it and does it look damaged? It also looks like the sensor wire from the heating pad was burnt at the plug(3rd pic). On the 4th pic it looks like there is a burn mark on one of the 3 pins. Nothing else looks burnt/damaged but I didn't completely disassemble the control board. Am I screwed or is this not as bad as I think and can be easily fixed?

Black mystery thing
    [​IMG]

Black mystery thing's home? Are these burn marks too?
    [​IMG]

Sensor wires from heating bed burnt at plug
    [​IMG]

Hard to tell from the pic, but the the top pin has burn marks.
    [​IMG]

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, ramps is shot. I'd suggest replacing the whole board

13. hey8you

hey8you New Member

Thanks Geof. I just got off the phone with customer service and he said they may not sell the replacement for the original R1. He is going to escalate my ticket and cancel my order for the print bed. No point in getting it if I cant get the other part replaced. I'll wait a few days and see if I get a reply. If not I guess ill start looking into getting a new printer.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The entire RAMPS board is easily replaced (and fairly cheap). You could replace just Q3 (but I would advise against it even if you have the skills).

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

A standard ramps 1.4 is what you need, all over Amazon dirt cheap

hey8you likes this.
  16. hey8you

hey8you New Member

17. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

18. hey8you

hey8you New Member

Thanks guys. I never heard back from support and so I just ordered from WheresWaldo link. I was hoping for a plug and play solution but this will work. I'm assuming I can just replace the stock ramps board with the broken one and keep everything else the same? Ill probably replace the robo Arduino board with the one in this kit at a later time or keep it as a spare. What about the screen? Can I use it with the Robo Arduino board as is or do I need to update the Robo Arduino board?

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll need to follow the thread @KTMDirtFace linked you above. Its a write up on how to swap where the wires go from the R1+ board to a generic ramps (what you bought in the kit) its easy just take your time and if any questions ask. Keeping for a spare is a great idea :D. the screen is a full graphics so you will have some firmware changes (minor stuff) and there is a full graphics display thread in the mods and upgrades section :D and of course start a thread and ask if you have questions or problems

hey8you and mark tomlinson like this.