1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Top Layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JWW, Dec 23, 2017.

1. JWW

JWW Member

I've had my RoboR1+ for quite sometime now and am very happy with it for my purposes and considering the initial cost. I'm still using MatterControl and happy with it for what I print. I was wondering what causes the top layer to look like this. Can it be any better? If so, what settings need to be adjusted. This is the stock calibration square. All of the other sides look great to me.
    File Dec 23, 2 17 58 PM.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. JWW

JWW Member

Seasons Greetings,

Excellent link, thanks very much. So where would that be in MatterControl? Here's my 'current' screen capture of that configuration area.

LayersSurface.jpg

4. JWW

JWW Member

I recall changing this to 10 (where it says 8) thinking that it would create a thicker top surface and instead I got a vertical 'offset' (where it stepped out of the Z axis slightly to the X or Y plane (can't remember which way the step went) creating a jog in the vertical layers.

2017-12-23_16-16-34.jpg

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'll defer that question to someone who uses matter control :)

It should just be listed as either the shell thickness/layers or perhaps the number of top/bottom layers.

6. JWW

JWW Member

... based on my screen captures of MatterControl what would you 'guess' is the proper setting option to manipulate?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, looking at your settings you still have less than 1mm of top layer defined (layer height = 0.1 with 8 tops layers). That isn't very much (a millimeter is not a lot).

You bottom may be fine and the top not simply because many slicers deliberately over extrude the first (bottom) layer and there are usually settings to that effect you can review as well.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I usually have at least 1mm of top/bottom layers and often more. A larger model absolutely more.
    Same for shell width ... at least 1mm

9. JWW

JWW Member

... so just for example sake, are you suggesting I set 'Outer Surface - Top & Bottom' field to say 20? If so, then supposedly that would give me 2mm thickness. I just want to make sure I understand the 'fields' and what they mean. This turned out fine but I want to make sure I have a grasp on the settings and what they do.

Attached Files:

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Again, not my slicer :)
    However you need to calculate the wall thickness and top/bottom surface thickness based on the layer height and number of layers you told it to generate. The # of top/bottom layers you defined times the layer height will get you the top/bottom surfaces and the wall thickness/shell thickness will get you the sidewalls. Whatever terminology your slicer uses.

Unless I am doing something odd I always want a fairly solid shell sides/top/bottom to make the item usable. If it really needs strength then 100% infill too.

11. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks Mark. I realized it's not your slicer. Just trying to understand the 'fields' and what they do so I can adjust them properly. So upping it from 8 to 10 will give me 1mm and upping it to 20 would give me 2mm thickness? Someday when I upgrade my printer purchase an expensive slicer then it should have similar nomenclature for wall thickness parameters and I will feel at home.

... Happy New Year,

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With the layer height you have chosen in that screenshot (0.1mm) then yes, that is totally correct. You should get those results.
    At this point many of the slicers use differing terminology which can be confusing and they often use different approaches to how they actually tackle a print (Simplify3D uses a multi-process approach more akin to some CNC software).

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member