1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo 3d R1 Plus LCD isn't working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jake Ciasca, Dec 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

So for christmas I got an lcd controller for the printer so I hooked all the wires up, got arduino downloaded, got marlin downloaded, got the u8glib file downloaded went through the configuration and set it for the #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER uploaded it and things showed up on the lcd, but then when I tried using the move z axis on it, instead of moving it up, it drilled it into the build plate, anybody know, why? I was hesitant to upload the firmware and this is why, because now my printer is messed up and I don't know what to do, and when I tried to move the z axis up on cura it did the same thing, so please if anybody knows what's wrong, I would gladly appeciate some help, thanks!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, if it is an R1+ -- which firmware did you download. Point us to the exact files.

Sounds like you ended up with the wrong one. Robo has 3 different (well, technically 4, but we won't go into that) versions of the R1 firmware. Beta, R1, and R1+ ... they are all different. One of those has an inverted Z :)

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you did load the wrong one, you really just need to go an load the correct one and you will be back in business.

4. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Well I was trying to get my lcd screen to work that I just got and I downloaded marlin and put it on. But how do I get the my robo r1 plus back to the default firmware that it had when it was shipped to me

5. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Also the lcd screen seemed to work, it was just that when I moved the axis's it was being all weird.

6. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

And it only let me move the axis's one way on the lcd screen, how come that is?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Where did you download it? I am trying to sort out what you installed. Generic 'Marlin' will not work... you have to configure it for your machine.

The Robo supplied firmware can be found here:

https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000717071-Updating-firmware-with-Arduino

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT ONE FOR YOUR MODEL.

8. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

Ok so I kind of fixed it last night, I downloaded one but I had to change the version of arduino I had from the latest one to 1.0.6 and it worked, the firmware I download had something that said it was for 8mm rods.

9. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

ok so I downloaded the file from the link you sent that said R1+ and uloaded it and it seems to be working now, so if i want to add the lcd screen can i still use cura with the firmware for the lcd screen on or do i have to change it, if so how? And how do I upload the firmware for the lcd screen.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The full graphic LCD needs to be enabled normally, but if it is working then maybe Robo has altered their base source for it... Check the CONFIGURATION.H ... I have not looked at the stock one in a long time. You would need UG8.lib for the full graphics LCD, not for the other one though (RepRap discount LCD)

14. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

ok so I think it is now working but on the lcd you can't move the axis's back and forth right it only goes one direction right, because if my extruder is off the bed it will only move it up and not down right

15. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

wait nvm i homed all the axis and it worked, thanks for al the help, if i need more i will reopen this.

16. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

wait how do i change this to resolved.

17. Jake Ciasca

Jake Ciasca Member

oh also if I have the firmware for the lcd on but i want to use cura, do i have to change firmware or will it work still.

18. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Cura doesn't care what firmware you have loaded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.