1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Extruded Motor Not Functioning During Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Braxston Perry, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Braxston Perry

Braxston Perry New Member

So, I just received my replacement R1+ this morning and I’ve been fighting with this printer all day trying to get the extruder motor to work correctly. I’ve reviewed the FAQs on Robo’s sight but just can’t put my finger on what’s causing this issue. I don’t think the extruded motor is bad nor has a shortage in it and I don’t know that much about the stepper motor. Unlike my first R1+, the extruder is functioning properly. The extruder motor will work every now and then while printing but doesn’t work to make a complete print or shape. The extruder motor seems like it want to work but doesn’t have enough power to push/pull the filament. I’ve also tried cleaning the inside of the gears. Please let me know if anyone can help me with my issue. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. FrankArmor

FrankArmor New Member

It almost sounds like a partially clogged nozzle. What filament are you trying to print and are you sure what’ve you’re extruder temperature is high enough? With the extruder heated to temperature, can you manually turn the gear easily?

Braxston Perry likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well a clog or a bad stepper driver to the extruder (or a bad stepper on the extruder -- less likely if it usually works, but still possible).
    You need to get them on the horn if this is a replacement and get them to sort it :)

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

is the large gear tight to turn by hand? like you gotta give it some "umph" to turn or feels like some resistance? if so try holding the bolt head( left side when looking at the Robo lettering front) and turn the large gear to "loosen" the nut just a bit. It should turn smoothly with very little to no resistance.

5. Braxston Perry

I’m using the 1.75 PLA Robo filament that comes in the box. The gears turn easily by hand and manually by the program. The extruder temperature is set at 210

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

When the gear is not feeding anymore is the filament chewed up? If yes then I believe a Jam as well. If no ....we should probably make sure there is no jam and season the extruder before going further.

7. Braxston Perry

The filament is in fact chewed up when it’s not feeding correctly. What’s the best way to clear the clog? Can you just send a link if you know of a good video or forum post?

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

This idea for atomic pulls
    https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/19510-how-to-apply-atomic-method

obviously apply the parts to the robo that make sense :D

I remove the nozzle and use a small propane torch and burn out the jam, then reseason. Atomic pull is worth a shot. Another option is to heat up well above your printing temp (so if PLA something like 240) and try to push some out with new filament. If no go, heat up high stick in new filament and do the atomic)

9. Braxston Perry

This printer is super wacky. I cleared the filament out that I thought was causing the jam by increasing the temperature and forcing the extra filament out but that didn't solve the issue. The motor just isn't functioning at all during prints now. I deleted all of my software and reinstalled it all and that isn't working either. Looks like I'll be putting in an order for a second replacement :(

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the 2nd video wont play for me ?

somethings is odd there? Did it auto level? Do you have the right machine selected in whatever slicer your using? Post a gcode ?

11. Braxston Perry

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Does the motor work consistently if you heat up the extruder and manually tell it to extruder.
    Try doing a couple hundred mm and see if it works for that. Just wanting to totally rule out the slicer side of things, but it does look more like electronics.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

my money is on slicer bug (matter control is my guess?) I remember ditching matter control due to a similar situation. Some times/models it worked fine, some models it would do crazy stuff.

14. Braxston Perry

Yes. I’ve already tried calibrating the extrusion length and that worked fine. I was able to extrude a few hundred mm of filament last night when I was troubleshooting it.

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Will you run this gcode please? Tell me if it extrudes while printing?

Attached Files:

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. Braxston Perry

You sent me a binary file with 17k words. Should I post all of those codes in the gcode terminal?

17. Braxston Perry

I can't open that file for some reason.

What slicer do you use now? Cura seemed like it isn't compatible with the R1+

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Gcode is not really binary, you should be able to have the slicer just load it and send it to the printer (it doesn't need to be sliced again)

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you should be able to put right onto a SD card (copy paste) and put in the reader and initiate the print. It should run by itself (no matter control)