1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

So Octoprint or XXL LCD

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ParamedicStan, Sep 25, 2015.

1. ParamedicStan

ParamedicStan Member

So which one would you invest in... In my area a XXL LCD is $69.00, and the Rasberry Pi Kit (with all the basic add ons) is $85.00.

Stan

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You get more functionality from the OctoPi and I did one early on* but the LCD screens are easier to install/configure. So there is your trade-off. Depends on what you want really. Personally I'd invest in something else and just go with the best LCD display unless there are some features you really want that the OctoPi offer.

*(full disclosure I no longer use the OctoPi. I keep a PC attached to one and just use the Full Graphics display on the other and print with SD cards. Most folks who go with the OctoPi are trying to divorce from a PC I think, but some want the more advanced features -- like WiFi and remote access).

3. jpham

jpham New Member

Looking to do the same. What to do??

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here is where personal preference really influences what and how you will use something. I do not want a PC or laptop constantly connected to my Robo, Besides the additional cost of power consumption, there are other reasons using OctoPrint/OctoPi and/or LCD Smart controller are good. I actually use both, but now I never use the SD card reader in either the Robo or the Smart controller. Every file is printed and prints are monitored through OctoPi. A RaspberryPi/OrangePi/BananaPi/Odroid C1+/Cheap Linux Box can be small enough to even mount in the base of a Robo. With ubiquitous WiFi you can monitor your prints from any device you own iOS, Android or Windows smartphones or tablets. Of course you can also control it from any PC on your home network. More ambitious people will even monitor/control their printers away from home/work.

All that said, everyone should invest in a smart LCD controller. It allows you to do things on the fly that are near impossible by any other means, like adjusting the actual layer height of the first layer on the fly, adjusting speeds on the fly, adjusting flow on the fly (see a pattern here?). Even though I don't personally use it, the accompanying SD card allows for completely PC-less printing. No USB issues or time outs when your computer/laptop goes to sleep, no bad USB cables, no OS crashes ruining multi-hour prints, etc.

In my own personal opinion, the question isn't OctoPrint vs. LCD, the answer is always both.

Jimmy Husain likes this.
  5. Jordan Maller

Jordan Maller New Member

can you use both?

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yes you can use both. The LCD connects directly to the RAMPS board with EXT1 & EXT2, OctoPrint (or OctoPi) controls the printer via USB.

7. Jordan Maller

Jordan Maller New Member

So I could use the controller when local and the pi to monitor while away?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, that is possible. You can also use OctoPrint when on your own LAN. I seldom actually use the LCD to do controls. I normally would use OctoPrint for that. If you want to get an at-a-glance status though the LCDs are nice for that.

9. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Funny, didn't initially see the date of the original post and your first post in this thread a couple of years ago was a big "meh" at octoprint and not using it anymore, seemed strange :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Jordan Maller

Jordan Maller New Member

So lan is just like a home network? So I could have my pi on my router without internet and still be able to print while home?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, exactly.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, times change :) Octoprint got better and we got a lot more printers which made it a far better solution for here.

13. Jordan Maller

Jordan Maller New Member

Thanks Mark you've saved me more times than I can count. Much obliged sir

14. Jim Pierce

Jim Pierce New Member

This is what I did. Snaps off in a minute if I don't want to use OctoPi for some reason, but with a VPN connection to home with my cell, I can monitor and control the printer from anywhere. Just used some scrap filament or else I would have printed it in white. It even uses the little pi camera. I can make the cad files available if someone wants them. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk