1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. j93

j93 New Member

Awesome,
    I would settle for the 1.1.7 at this point just to get the leveling trough the LCD screen. My bed flexes so much during the leveling probe process that no matter how level I get it all set auto level tosses it all out of wack again.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah, that is why I went to MESH when it was available, then UBL when it actually worked.

MChrisP1 likes this.
  3. j93

j93 New Member

I sure hope it corrects my issue. I replaced the bed ... The rods on the carriage etc trying to figure out the problem. I was watching from the side and the glass bed was bowing like a trampoline when it probes the edges of the bed in the middle.

4. Avrution

Avrution Member

Which are you currently using now? Or does the current implementation of UBL contain MESH since it is mentioned so many times in the guide?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is MESH and there is UBL which uses a mesh. See the difference, that is how I refer to them. I do not have an R1 series printer running at the moment, on the R2 I use UBL. Previously on the R1 I used MESH.

6. VibroAxe

VibroAxe New Member

@danzca6 are the only changes you made to the 1.1.7 archive to the configuration files? I'm running a git diff against the current 1.1.7 tag and seeing lots of changes. I suspect this might be that the Marlin file are rewriting history rather than issueing delta tags (1.1.7a/1.1.7.1).

I've got an old skool k/s R1 which i'm looking at bringing kicking and screaming into the present, but wanted to understand the firmware changes you guys have been working on first!

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So a beta... Yep, I have two that started off that way. Mainly the thing to remember is that the Z steps are different for the beta than they are for the R1 or the R1+ (unless you did the leadscrew upgrade like i did on one of them and in that case they are the same as the R1+)

8. VibroAxe

VibroAxe New Member

Yup, i'm looking at doing the leadscrew updates and probably a z-probe at some point soon. This one has sat in a cupboard for AGES, i've only recently got it back out and started looking at it.

Just loaded a 1.1.8 f/w with a hybrid config for the beta I put together based of the last beta f/w I can find and Rob's. We shall see how it prints

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Go for it. Both of mine now have autoleveling (easy to add) and one has the leadscrew upgrade. One even has the bed upgrade :) At this point one is an R1 equivalent and the other an R1+

10. Avrution

Avrution Member

It was mentioned before that with UBL running the G29 wasn't needed as it does nothing. Is running G29 L and G29 J needed or does it serve any function before each print or only during the leveling process?

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I use G29 Lnn to load a specific mesh at connection time with OctoPrint followed by a G29 A to make sure UBL is active. But It should not be necessary, if everything is saved with an M500. I do it with the R2 because RoboLCD is broken in parts and messes with too many parameters at startup. That isn't an issue for an R1 series printer even if running OctoPrint. I think Roxy3D added G29 J for special cases and I have never seen it normally used, nor does she mention it when you ask her about UBL

12. Avrution

Avrution Member

I did save everything with the M500.

Quick question, is it possible in Marlin to specify what the emergency button on the screen does when pressed? Aside from just stopping the print I'd really like for it to move the Z axis up a few MM.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Only if you can code

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And if that seems flippant -- it is not. The entire Marlin code is open and available. Not everyone has the same wants/needs/requirements :)

Add to it.

15. j93

j93 New Member

I did the upgrade to 1.1.7 today with the UBL. It did take forever for me to figure out how to get it all set up but it seems to have fixed my issues with the flexing bed causing auto level to mess up my printing. Many thanks to the folks much smarter than I am that compiled everything so it was possible.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@j93, I am glad it is working so well for you

17. Avrution

Avrution Member

Does re-uploading the same firmware (with some changes) require rerunning the PID and UBL? I changed the default temps for preheating so I wouldn't have to do it manually, but I'm not sure if all my previous settings would be gone?

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As long as it has the same EEPROM version (listed in configuration_store.cpp as EEPROM_VERSION) then it preserves the settings.

19. Avrution

Avrution Member

Thanks. Ended up wiping it anyway. Somehow my fan shroud was moved and the machine was making all kinds of noises because it couldn't hit the X axis switch. Of course I figured that out too late. Now to figure out why G28 makes the Z axis moved up instead of down.

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Avrution is the X axis stepper plugged in backwards? It won't hurt the board but it will make the stepper run in the other direction.