1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print bed up and down during print & now bed pushing against extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Zach Heritage, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Zach Heritage

Zach Heritage New Member

So I bought my R2 and have had nothing but problems, first it was the extruder, that was replaced, then it was the IR sensor, and now this. My print bed will just moved up and down during a print. I tried the default files from Robo, same result. Now when I tried it this morning, during the bed leveling calibration at the beginning of a print it is pushing the bed into the extruder and not stopping. I submitted a ticket to Robo a week ago and have gotten no response aside from the assumption that since I hadn't added anything in 2 days that the issue was resolved. I uploaded the videos to them and still haven't heard anything in 5 days. So thus I am turning to the community to hopefully hear something back.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Moved to R2 section (was posted in C2 section)

Park A. likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You really need to call them, email is hit or miss in terms of response and the absolute best approach is to schedule a session with a tier-2 tech via the form:
    https://robo3d.com/pages/schedule-an-appointment

While that happens someone in the community with an R2 can probably give you some pointers.

Sounds like you still have some hardware not working correctly (like the Z endstop or the bed leveling sensor)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have found that when the bed is below the trigger point of the IR sensor and you ask it to move up it will always stop at the trigger point. Sometimes if the bed is already at the sensor height or closer and you ask it to go up as in homing it will keep trying to go up until it times out.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Park A.

Park A. New Member

Hey Zach, can you establish whether your IR sensor is firing when it's supposed to? You can trigger it with any solid object as the bed is moving north along the z-axis going into the bed leveling sequence. If the IR sensor is working you'll see a red light flash on the the sensor itself, and the bed should change direction, and the extruder will try to continue with the bed leveling sequence. If you can manually trigger the sensor, most likely your hardware is good. If you cannot trigger the sensor, well, your printer might be eating IR sensors. But this will help the smart folks here vector their efforts toward a solution.

Word of caution, be careful cleaning your nozzle with anything abrasive and metallic while power is supplied to your machine. There are semi-exposed solder points that may short out if you jump any of those solder points on the IR sensor board, while they're getting power. I recently had a similar issue, like what you're experiencing. I tore my machine apart, and I still haven't diagnosed the issue - only thing I can think of is that I inadvertently caused a short somehow. I'm extremely careful when it comes to electronics, but anything can happen. My machine ate two IR sensors in as many days. I tested EVERY throughput for voltage and current, reloaded firmware, and installed a third sensor. . . I found nothing remarkable in my testing, but now, for some reason, my R2 is sailing like a dream. I probably shouldn't have said that last part.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk