1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Print Quality Problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by zachary.h.a, Jan 17, 2018.

1. zachary.h.a

zachary.h.a New Member

I’m not sure what the problem is I’ve tried a few different prints and still the same result. Using ROBO 3D PLA.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm. hard to pin-point that but up until the failure it looks fairly decent (from this angle) something got caught or in the way and the top detached. Have you seen it fail? If so maybe a better description of what it is doing?

Geof likes this.
  3. Alan Laing

Alan Laing New Member

I had something maybe similar going on recently. I was using the Robo PLA that came with my R2 and printing 1/2 spheres with a raft with Cura 2.5 and default setting for R2 and PLA. One my spheres got larger (like 7 cm diameter) the prints started to fail and I had 3 fail about 1/2 way done. I then started all the adhesion tricks like cleaning and roughing build plate etc but no luck. I finally noticed by watching that the raft was lifting due to not enough adhesion (I assume) and when the model.lifted the extruder nozzle hit.it. I was able to save the last print by taping the raft back down to flat using packing tape once I saw it lift. I did this taping with print going on ... Should.of paused, but my way was much more exciting. My timeline was tight so I just started using some new polywood PLA I had ordered on Amazon and with that and same default print settings, I was able to print all 8 Spheres with no issues. Hardly scientific but for me, this time, simply changing filament solved my pain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

4. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

I had similar issue with slight jamming of the filament once I stated to using cleaner/ Oiler for pla majority of my problems disappeared. What I learned is that pla needs little lubricating every now and then. Take a drop of oil in paper towel and rub your beginning filament about 100mm should do fine and then after that when you do filament load let it purge for until you feel like it’s been lubricated. If the problem consists after that it might be some issue with the heating or the cogwheel that’s pushing the filament out.

PS: for oiling don’t over do it. Take a look at the filament cleaner/Oiler I designed in the mods section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes the secret to an oiler is ... not much oil needs to be on the filament. A very fine sheen is more than enough

Shrey likes this.
  6. Stephen Jolly

Stephen Jolly New Member

I have used an oiler on both my R1+ and my R2 and had no problems, make sure you are using cooking oil only, I seasoned my R2 when I first got it by putting oil on the filament and preheating the print head then pushing the filament through it

Geof, mark tomlinson and Shrey like this.
  7. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Is that the Robo Coral Blue PLA?

8. zachary.h.a

zachary.h.a New Member

Yes it is.