1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Simplify3D / Octoprint Bed Centering

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jccbsl, Jan 17, 2018.

1. jccbsl

jccbsl New Member

I would like to configure Octoprint to center the prints on the bed.

I know I can adjust the offsets in S3D, but I would prefer a "global" solution for all prints so that the center point in S3D matches the center of the R1+ bed. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Should be by default. Make sure you configure bed dimensions correctly and to the same values in both?

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Ignore the printing on the bed, the R1 placed the graphics in a random location. It has no relationship to the center of the bed.

4. jccbsl

jccbsl New Member

I'm not particularly concerned about the graphics on the bed, but it would be nice if the centerlines matched, especially when I print a large item. Since Octoprint nags whenever it thinks the item extends past the bed, it would be nice to know when it was really a problem.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If the printer size is configured correctly in your slicer you are good. Center is wherever it thinks the center of that is

6. jccbsl

jccbsl New Member

I did not purchase the printer new. Based on comments here and from S3D, I have to assume that some modifications were made to the extruder assembly, since everybody's prints but mine appear to be centered. However, by changing the X and Y G-code offsets in S3D, I am now able to center my prints.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@jccbsl, the printer prints where the printer wants. There is no real centering especially if you did not tweak the overall dimensions of the printer to match the slicer. The R1 series of printers have a usable build space of approximately X220, Y236, Z230. The default firmware thinks the build plate is X240, Y254, Z240 which will skew the plate toward the rear and to the right. The printer always knows where X0, Y0, Z0 after homing as it is a physical location. Some of the default slicer profiles I have seen are based on the marketing material and have the build platform at X254, Y254.

What you really need to do is to test for your self just how far you can move X & Y after they are homed and make sure your slicer matches those dimensions exactly or else it will not print in the correct spot. It might be visually in the center but not mechanically in the center of the build platform.