1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R1 plus Printing question

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JWW, Jan 18, 2018.

1. JWW

JWW Member

Is it possible to print this clean on the R1 plus? The horizontal members are naturally the problem. The two middle ones will be snapped off once it is printed. The top and bottom ones didn't print very well, especially the top and are necessary for the final print. Anyway, if printable, any suggestions how to resolve this, setting wise? I realized that just printing ONE of these that heat could be a problem so I tried lowering the heat down to 191c without success. This will be printed in PLA and is about 3" tall.

34809161-77fbb3e4-f650-11e7-92da-5ff49add5d8a.jpg
    2018-01-18_9-04-33.jpg

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Do you have to print it upright? If you lay it flat you can eliminate all bridging.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. JWW

JWW Member

... unfortunately yes. That was just a test to see if I could print it. The whole thing looks like this.

Attached Files:

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Excellent idea, it will likely need a small amount of support material, but no bridging.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, then you are going to need to fix the bridging or use a fair amount of supports...

6. JWW

JWW Member

That's what I thought. Here's a poor pic of it printed with a Ultimaker 2+. Do you think it possible to add supports with MatterControl? That's what I've been using for about a year and a half now with no issues but I've never used supports of any type.

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Actually I really can't speak to using MatterControl ... I just don' t use it.

We have some other folks who do, I'll let them chime in

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your just not living :D. Upload the model I'll give it a shot, if it works I'll ship it to you.

Park A. and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks for the offer Geof, that is very kind of you. I've read a lot of the posting on this forum for the last year and a half. I know you have extensive printing savvy along with your tuned machines unlike myself. However that won't solve my printing problem with this particular model. I want to print it myself so I will give it a few more tries with different settings and even experiment with supports. I did try and generate supports visually in MatterControl but didn't notice them physically generated under the horizontal members I have mentioned. I don't mind upgrading to another slicer IF that completely solves this issue but don't care to if it doesn't. One of my hobbies is photographing diatoms via stacking (microscopy). I machine numerous accessories that are needed for my cameras and different microscopes but only after prototyping them with my printer. Sometimes no machining is necessary at all. If I can't get my printer to do this then I will simply look for one that can. Hopefully they exist at a reasonable price such as the Robo R1 plus or in that range. The model I uploaded isn't my design. It's a long time still in development project on Github called Openflexure. I thought I would get involved in my spare time and see if I had anything to contribute, at least from my microscopy experience. My personal microscopy equipment is on the high end side unlike Openflexure but I found it interesting. Below is the link to Openflexure project. The .STL I was trying to print is called main_body_LS65.stl if you care to give it a shot.

https://github.com/rwb27/openflexure_microscope/tree/master/builds

Regards ...

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If one of us (for example like Geof or me) can slice it for you with Simplify3D and have it generate supports that work well when you print it that ought to help answer some of your questions :) The printer is capable.

Geof likes this.
  11. JWW

JWW Member

Like I said, I don't mind upgrading to Simplify3D (or whatever, even another printer). The only reason I haven't purchased Simplify3D is I didn't want to risk my printer not working the way I'm used to using it, which has been a piece of cake so far, or going through some crazy learning curve for a few weeks to get it up and running with my Robo R1 plus.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you provide the settings you want to use (layer height, temperatures, material, etc.) I'll slice it for you (and add supports). You will need to add any startup GCode you use (I don't use any) like autoleveling, etc. at the very beginning and then it would be printable.

your call. your project

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

what it would show if you ran that .gcode is if its slicer issue or a machine issue. I'm betting its just slicer settings that need adjusted but we (Mark and I) dont use matter control so were limited on what exactly needs adjusted to get the same print quality we print at.

Matter control is not the greatest software but it is easy. Could always test run Cura or Slic3r just to try them out and use that model as your "control" piece to see if you like another slicer that is more easily/able to be tuned

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll give that part a shot just for reference, my print may not turn out any better :D

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent used Matter control since I bought my R1+ when it was released but way back then supports were an absolute nightmare to remove. Please let us know how they do now, I'm quite curious about that actually.

16. JWW

JWW Member

I haven't a clue what the settings should be since I've never successfully printed it, nor played with all of MatterControls setting let alone Simplify3D. I assume Simplify3D does the autoleveling just my Robo R1 plus does now? I assume 0.1mm layer height, probably 12 or so top/bottom/surface layers (dunno), PLA, I've never experimented with GCode on my printer, just plug and play including the leveling.

17. JWW

JWW Member

Cool. I realize most here have changed slicers instead of using MatterControl but I've printed LOTS of things using it that turned out fine, so I never saw a need to look further. I also have designed my projects with no need for supports.

Anyway they suggest printing "just_leg_test.stl" to see if your printer can handle it. That's the very first image I posted above. Of course it's so small that heat is an issue unless you print two or three at once.

18. JWW

JWW Member

Before I waste your time Mark, I'll trying printed it again a few times. There's no way I would purchase Simplify3D until I read how to set it up and how it works with my Robo R1 plus via their forums.

... thanks.

19. JWW

JWW Member

Not trying to beat a dead horse to death. I printed the main_body_LS65.stl last night, acquired from the Github link above, with no supports, temp set at 189c using MatterControl and this is how it turned out. Obviously it isn't cleaned up. This is how it looks right off the print bed. I didn't take the time to use the proper diffusion to eliminate the specular highlights in the photographs Of course I'm not happy with the results but I am surprised the entire model printed.

Attached Files:

#19 JWW, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@JWW I'm hoping to give that file a go on my R1+ tonight (fingers crossed nothing comes up) and will post pictures and my general settings.

Sorry for the delay, crazy times.