1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Print quality when scaling up model

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. astro boy

astro boy Member

Well after all this it seems that it was a stepper motor for the extruder causing all this mischief! The motor must have been going bad slowly because it seemed that it was getting progressively worse. In any case, I want to thank all of you for your help in nailing this down. Mark, you mentioned the extruder being close to the bed not allowing filament to extrude earlier on. Well this seems to be the case in the initial layers. What is the fix for this? I went searching the forum but couldn't find it so easily, I know I've seen it before but can't seem to track it down. Is it just a matter of changing my initial layer height? after awhile it seems that all goes well, but the initial few layers it seems the extruder is so close as to not allow filament out.
    Thanks so much again for all the help, I was almost looking like Larry Fine of the 3 stooges with all the hair pulling before today.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Autoleveling Z offset. That affects only the first layer
    Check your startup GCode.

G28 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-1.0 ; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level

Start with -1 and tweak up or down in small increments until it is perfect.

3. astro boy

astro boy Member

Great thanks Mark. I can't wait to get back to printing again! Had to grind the keyway on the shaft a little further down towards the body of the stepper to accommodate the gear better. But now it fits perfectly. If anyone buys these motors I should say that I had to reverse the plug at the driver when plugging it in because at first it worked in reverse. Now it's working perfectly.
    Fingers crossed that this will be it for awhile... Happy printing and thanks again all.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Cool feature of this style stepper motor and cable is that if you get it wrong, it just runs backwards :)
    Glad you got it sorted.