1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Kickstarter Edition: Full rebuild help

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by SPyKER, Mar 27, 2017.

1. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Heh, yeah they come in a batch :)
    On the bright side when I bought a batch of like 10 and installed them in all of the printers (5 so far)... I have never had to replace one yet.
    Heck even if I do they are not expensive.

SPyKER likes this.
  3. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

The nozzles and cores should be here tomorrow -- just in time for the weekend before I travel out of town for a week for business... The Rods, which were also prime 2-day business, I'm still awaiting a delivery date. Typical.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If your prime delivery delivers late (and you are a prime member) let Amazon know.
    I have gotten discounted or free stuff that way. Unless they tell you up-front during the order that it is going to deliver late, then they have the 2-day commitment. 99% of the time they meet it :) Sometimes I don't get a delivery date until I get the "out for delivery" message though.

SPyKER likes this.
  5. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Called them about the rods and they changed me to 2day so it will arrive tomorrow with the other parts.

So Friday step one is get the heater core upgraded and throw on a new nozzle for kicks. Step two is get it printing correct by checking the glass on the left and right front and adjusting the z-axis as necessary. Step three is checking the back corners and adjusting the bed as necessary. Step four is getting a good, steady extrusion. Step five is a calibration circle, followed by a cube. Finally, a basic test print of a cable management piece I printed before and it got snapped (needed more infill). Anything anyone would change?

And I'm going to try the new Cura 2.5. Any recommended settings changed I should make for this R1?

6. Travis Morrison

Travis Morrison New Member

Any updates on your progress?

7. SPyKER

SPyKER Active Member

Yes. I gave up trying to get the Kickstarter Robo3D printer working acceptably. Should time allow, I will use as much of the parts as possible on other machines. I have a small delta working now, and a full sheet CNC router to set up and just don't have the time to fiddle with a machine which never worked well, and Robo3D refused to fully support.

8. Travis Morrison

Travis Morrison New Member

Gotcha, I have a fully stock ROBO 3D Kickstarter edition and the only true issues I had out of it was getting the bed properly leveled prior to printing and ensuring the filament was constantly being fed through the extruder. This in itself was always discouraging when it took an excessive amount of time to set up, only for the print to fail midway through. I looked into some of the upgrade kits, but they were always sold out/unavailable. I had thought about trying to get back into it after a few years of it being shut off, but I don't know that it's worth the time at this point, especially since I can purchase a higher quality printer for so cheap now...

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The bed ,leveling is, well, manual and that is never fun and the larger the bed, the less fun :)

You can add autoleveling for a little bit of labor and the cost of a switch. I have a thread on this.

For the cost of an LCD SCreen and a Raspberry pi you can turn it into (almost) an R2 (I have a thread on that as well).

That is solved for PLA with an Oiler :)

#89 mark tomlinson, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  10. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I'd think the thread on converting the table to an aluminum sheet with a much better heater, then the thread on Mesh leveling where you manually probe the bed and save the mesh, would be the better path on that old version of the machine.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure, converting the bed to linear rails like the R1/R1+ is a great idea too (and the files are on thingiverse). For starters you can add the autoleveling (less then $5 in parts). :) Then I would do the linear rails and at that point you have an R1. Convert to leadscrews and it is an R1+ ... I have two that started off as kickstarter ones. One is now a plus and the other an R1 (with an aluminum bed).

Sadly thier support during the Beta (kickstarter) and R1 phases was ... poor and spotty. So you really had to get on by yourself or with this forum (and that helped me a LOT). They have gotten better on the support end, but that still won't help them now. At least all the parts are cheap and available. Upgrades are easy.