1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament broken off and stuck in filament sensor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sheila Griffith, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheila Griffith

Sheila Griffith New Member

Hi All,

Everyone here has helped enormously in the past and I hope you can come through for me again. I know there have historically been numerous issues with the C2 filament sensor, some of which I have experienced in the past as well. This is a different one than I have seen mentioned so I am starting a new thread to address it. I was mid print when the filament ran out but, despite the fact that these sensors are mainly non functional my problem is the end of the filament broke off leaving a small piece in the middle of the sensor. The piece is small enough to be right in the middle of the sensor with nothing above or below to even grasp to pull out and I don't know the easiest way to get it out without causing damage. I have tried coaxing it out from each end by trying put a new piece of filament through and push it a bit but it won't budge.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks again.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, if you can't use needle nose pliers or tweezers to get the filament out then disassembly is probably the only other option.
    The down-side is that on the C2 that is not a simple task. You need to unbolt the sensor assembly from the case. I was looking through my dual-extrusion mod thread to see if I had pictures of this, but no luck. The two screws which hold that mounted to the C2 are reachable from the inside top-left (as looking at it from the front) inside case. Those need to be removed and the entire sensor assembly can pop off. you can then easily remove any filament from inside it and remount it. I say that like it is simple (and technically it IS) however getting to the screws from inside to remove it is ... not easy. They can be reached, but it is not a clear path.

Sheila Griffith and Geof like this.
  3. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Removing the sensor block on the back is essentially:

1) remove the black part of the front plate (but leave the LCD connected)
    2) remove the top white shroud (four screws at the top)
    3) remove the two screws holding the back white plate and ease it back
    4) remove the two screws holding the black sensor block to the back plate

RoboC2_Exploded.png

Sheila Griffith likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep...

Geof likes this.
  5. Sheila Griffith

Sheila Griffith New Member

Thanks so much for the great answers. The photos were especially helpful as I always do better when I visualize a project before entering into it.

Now the deed is done and I’m back up and running thanks to all the help.

Have a great day everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.