1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered ABS not sticking to... self?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

I just made my first print with ABS and was impressed with how perfect everything was going and how the calibration print look so perfect.

Then, I removed the print. Everything more or less fell apart, like the layers didn't stick to each other. Bed adhesion was great, but it was like I just made layers of toothpicks that fell apart when removed.

Unfortunately, I had already ended up with 5 spools of ABS before knowing that PLA was the way to go, so I'd hate to waste the stuff.

I have no idea if this is a temperature issue, extrusion, or anything. I printed at 235 on a 105 bed (On PEI).

Suggestions on what might be happening?

Attached Files:

• abs.jpg
      abs.jpg
      File size:
      563.2 KB
      Views:
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Go hotter would be my guess.
    I used to routinely start ABS at 235 and usually printed hotter,

Of course that may complicate things later since the more heat you add the more you have to be able to safely ditch without warping.

3. Avrution

Avrution Member

I tried a full calibration cube (same settings, except .3 layer instead of .2) and that printed almost perfectly - I was expecting shrinkage, but it was actually a little larger than the 20mm.

I did have some warping/waves on the edges. I'm not sure if any settings should change between PLA and ABS aside from temps, I left everything else the same.

4. Avrution

Avrution Member

So, 245 on the single layer testing came out perfect. I'm still a little unsure which temperature to go with for full prints though, since the full cube at 235 came out so nicely.

Full cube at .2 layer and 245 had a good bit more warping on the corners. Bonding was great though

#4 Avrution, Jan 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018