1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Replacement part-cooling fan?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Electonic, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Electonic

Electonic Member

Hello!
    I haven't been here for a long time, but wow this site looks great!

Recently my part-cooling fan died, and I somehow lost the connector that goes from the fan to the header wire that is with the bundle of wire that goes to the extruder, so I don't know what type of connector it is.
    I can't find any specs on this fan anywhere (which, to be fair, who looks for fan specs?), so I thought I'd ask here.
    I have a few questions:

What is the name of the connector type?
    Would you recommend that I replace the fan or is there one that's better?
    I've seen some printers that have two fans, is this possible with like a wire splitter or something?

Thanks!

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It is a JST-SM sometimes called a waterproof connection even though it really isn't You can get them from Amazon.

Electonic likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, you can splice a second fan onto the same connection. Be careful not to get to much airflow around the hotend itself or you will have trouble maintaining temperatures. Make sure the fans are only pushing air on the part being printed.

Electonic likes this.
  4. wmlowder

wmlowder New Member

There is a really good stl on thingiverse to add a second part cooling fan. Just need another 12v 40mm fan.