1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Extruder Motor Makes Grinding Sound

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 0ryanx, Feb 4, 2018.

1. 0ryanx

0ryanx New Member

I've been printing on my Robo 3D R1+ for a couple of years, now. When I try to print today, though, the extrude makes a horrid grinding noise, and it won'e extrude filament. Nothing is clogged, and I can move the gears manually without a problem. I've replaced the stepper motor, and swapped the stepper driver on the RAMPS, but I had to swap 2 of them on the RAMPS, itself, since I do not have an extra one on hand. It didn't help. The X, Y, and Z axis still work fine, it just won't extrude and sounds like it blocked. The nozzle is not clogged (I tried clearing that) and the hob bolt is not damaged or obstructed. I haven't made any firmware changes since I installed my E3D V6 hotend 18 months ago. Am I missing something, here? I have not tried adjusting the Stepper Driver with a screw-driver, mainly because I'm afraid I'll fry something or seriously mess up my printer. If that's my next step, how do I go about that?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. 0ryanx

0ryanx New Member

Adjusting the voltage didn't help; the noise just got louder. Anything else that might help?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, rule out the stepper motor and attach it to say X or Y stepper driver and see if it will turn then. That leaves... just the stepper.
    They are fairly cheap (well, from Amazon, not Robo)

Geof likes this.