1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Noise while idle.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jogul, Feb 7, 2018.

1. jogul

jogul Member

Is the noise I hear at idle, a mainboard fan? Is it supposed to be on at full speed when the printer is idle? Could it be throttled down? Is there a quieter replacement fan?

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

It's the extruder cooling fan. It's connected straight to power so not controllable. Throw a drop of oil in it once in a while if it's too whiny.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is a larger fan under the bed on the C2 (and I suspect the R2) and that might be the culprit. It is a blower style -- not this exact one, but this is the style: https://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Radial-Blower-Centrifugal-4-72x4-72x1-26/dp/B01CSNEO2G

If that is getting noisy it may need a replacement. I am not certain what voltage it is using... someone can look that up if that is the one being noisy. Lift the bottom inside cover and see if that is the culprit.

That one or the extruder fan as @Kilrah pointed out

4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

The bottom cooling fan is very quiet - unless it's really dead those you'll hear are the extruder one (prone to be noisy) and on the R2 at least the power supply one (10x worse than extruder). Dunno about the C2 PSU.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

quiet as a tomb -- no fan :)

Geof likes this.
  6. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Hah, lucky bastards :D

I modded the R2 PSU to slow the fan down but still have to disconnect it from mains manually anytime I'm not using the printer or it will drive me crazy. Who doesn't use temp-controlled fans nowadays :oops:

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

On the R2 the fan is a regular blade type box fan, not a blower style, it isn't very loud and it is there to cool the stepper driver chips as well as the Arduino. It also sucks air over the rPi. It is connected to Fan2 It is connected to Pin D6 on the Arduino, so it should be controllable, but I have never tried. You can test by using M42 P<int> S<int>
    Code:
    M42 P6 S0 ; should turn off fan[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/LEFT][/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/LEFT]
    [I][FONT=Lato][COLOR=rgb(116, 124, 135)]
    [LEFT][I][FONT=Lato][COLOR=rgb(116, 124, 135)][LEFT]M42 P6 S255 ; should run fan at full speed

#7 WheresWaldo, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, consistency I guess :)

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I can't get M42 P6 S0 to work, it responds with protected pin and disconnects from OctoPrint and doesn't actually stop the fan.

I think you have to enable USE_CONTROLLER_FAN in Configuration_adv.h then you can control the fan under the trap door.

#9 WheresWaldo, Feb 7, 2018
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You can also set up automatic fan on/off via temperature. E0_AUTO_FAN_PIN needs to be enabled in Configuration_adv.h then set appropriate start temp. That is where the bulk of the idle noise is coming from, unless you have an R2 with a version 1 power supply.

I am testing this now, had to do a few edits to configuration files, recompile and flash new firmware.

This is more work than I thought I think I need to edit pins.h under the #define SENSITIVE_PINS

#10 WheresWaldo, Feb 7, 2018
  11. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

In theory, one could query the Raspberry for its temperature and programmatically turn off the underside fan outside of Marlin/OctoPrint by using one of the Raspi's GPIO pins to toggle a relay or similar.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I honestly dont think its the fan under the hood. You can disconnect it and the park noise is still there. Its the small 25mm fan screaming. replacing with a larger/better 30mm fan would likely fix that, but I have not yet done so YMMV

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I agree with @Geof it is the crappy 25 mm fan. In all my PC building days I have never found any 25 mm case fan that is quiet. Upgrading to a 30 mm means printing and installing a new fan shroud. Not hard, but it may not help. I am just going to throw out a number, don't know if its accurate, but in my experience you need to buy ten 30 mm fans to come up with three that might be quieter than the rest.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree, we have used those in Pi cases (25mm/30mm) and invariably they are noisy regardless of brand. The small ones are hard to get quiet. Some of the newer cases actually use larger fans (40mm and larger) and some of those can be quiet.

Geof likes this.
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@WheresWaldo and @mark tomlinson nailed it. Ideally you'd want 3 x 40mm fans for "quiet" but you want to make sure if you spend the time to model up a fan shroud that works with 40mm that you dont buy to weak of fans and cause more headaches than the noise is :D

16. Cropduster

Cropduster New Member

Anyone tried to replace this crappy fan? Can anyone share a pic?

Geof likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

mine is still currently stock and has to be for a while so no. I believe @WheresWaldo has by printing a new shroud and moving 1 of the 30 mm part fans to its place.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There is a thread and model you can download, modify for your own needs and print where I moved the fan directly behind the extruder cold zone. It is in the R2 modifications sub-forum

Geof likes this.