1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder jambing - not clogging

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul Arnold, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

I've have successfully printed hundreds of things, gone through probably 20 spools of PLA so far, and I've had little issues here and there, but this one has me kind of baffled as to what to try to do to correct it. I'm thinking too hot or too cool and extruder. As you can see from the attached photo of two of the jambs I've pulled out, the PLA is bunching up at the top of the extruder. The extruder fan is working, and I'm running standard feed speeds etc. I'm running the extruder at 200 degrees, but I am trying a test print right now at 195. It seems about 1 out of 3 or 4 things prints just fine. Any suggestions? Have I missed something?

My theory is that either the extruder is too hot, and the PLA is softening at the top, or the extruder isn't hot enough and the PLA is too thick and won't flow fast enough. 20180207_203151-1.jpg

2. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

While heat creep could be causing it, are you sure the nozzle isn’t damaged/blocked in some way ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

All great ideas, if another spool prints fine then you may have something.
    However, PLA... it likes to do what we call micro-clogs. They come, they mess with you and they go :)

Start by seasoning the nozzle and see if that helps.

(long thread over here if you are not sure what I mean: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...hotend-jam-clogs-seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564/)

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heat creep is also a good idea, but only if something changed with the extruder (like new one or suddenly printing hotter, etc). Heat creep doesn't just start... it may be there the entire time, but if it just pops up it is likely something broken or changed

5. supercazzola

If he printed 20 rolls of PLA, then maybe the fan that cools the extruder heatsink fins is dirty / dusty, or is not performing well / failing....

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Now that is a really good idea :)

Geof likes this.
  7. supercazzola

Or he could be playing Bob Marley “Jamming” ... but the first idea is more likely

8. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Thank you all for the quick replies. I do season my hot end, it is not new. The printer will sometimes print half an item before it stops, sometime less, sometimes everything, and it's printing as well as it ever has. I had one other thought... see the attached picture. The original extruder mount thing broke, for a while I was able to get it to hold the hot end, but I finally replaced it with one I printed from a file on thingiverse. Is it possible that this is slightly out of alignment and that is why it's jambing? I think I'll call customer service tomorrow and just order one, unless someone knows of an accurate file. 20180207_213353.jpg

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only ones I know of on Thingiverse are for the E3D hotend and yes, those would be too loose for the stock hexagon.

10. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

This one is tight, but could be misaligned I suppose. It was hard to match it to the old one as it had broken in 3 pieces, and one of the pieces fell into the abyss that seem to swallow all my screws. It claimed to be an original replacement part, but it was too thick and I did have to sand almost an eighth of an inch off to get it in there.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The E3D is about 1/8 of an inch wider throat :)

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

People who upgrade to the E3D need to replace it since the stock one will be too loose.

I could not find a replacement for the hexagon on thingiverse

13. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

Hmmm, well, I guess that's my first option, to buy one from Robo. Of course the printer is running fine right now, I cut the temp down to 190, but I won't know until I get up in the morning if it completes the job. Either way, I will get the part direct from Robo.
    I am going to leave this temporarily as unresolved until I get several prints through it either at a lower temp, or with the new hot end holder.

Geof likes this.
  14. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

I tried to order the part from Robo but they don't sell it, they directed me to a site that had the correct stl file. Fortunately for me I have friends with 3d printers who could print one for me. It's printing like a dream now!

Geof likes this.
  15. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

For anyone who was following this, the problems all came back. It seems likely that the fan which cools the hot end was actually the culprit. I'll know for sure in a few days. It seems the top of the hot end was getting so warm that the filament was softening and jambing. At least that's my current theory.

Geof likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats a very good theory, that little fan is hot garbage (no pun intended) :D. 25mm fans are prone to failure and sometimes (annoying as it is) they start getting weak so its not as obvious. Good catch!

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just FYI: that is called heat creep and most small all-metal hotends can be victims :) That fan is important.

18. John in MS

John in MS Active Member

Concerning micro clogs I found on Amazon little drill bits that fits up into the nozzle. Brand name is Kamo

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd caution against using a drill bit honestly. To easy to ruin a nozzle.