1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Extruder fan... always on?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by astro boy, Feb 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro boy

astro boy Member

I believe my extruder fan has died. It does not come on during the print and therefore clogs almost immediately.
    I can't seem to find the simple answer to this... Is the fan supposed to come on as soon as the printer is turned on?
    as a side note.. I found on Amazon the exact fan for the robo r1+ if anyone wants to replace with the same, although it may not have the same exact connector. I'm not sure since I didn't get it yet. I would like to upgrade my fan but since I can't print, I ordered the original first. here is the link...
    https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Cooli...517684998&sr=1-4&keywords=25x10mm+cooling+fan

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have mine wired to the 12v main so it is always on. It SHOULD always be on if the extruder is hot/heating, but having it on all the time is OK.

3. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks Mark,
    Mine fan has not been going on during the startup of prints and therefore the extruder clogs. I didn't realize this was happening for a day or so. I just thought it was my choice of oil wick which was stupidly, tissue paper. I put tissue paper in my oil cup that i printed from thingverse instead of say a sponge which would have been better I assume, I noticed it was dragging into the extruder feed, pieces of tissue. So I cleaned that all out and tried again. Realized the fan had died. For all I know the oily tissue residue killed my fan. I don't know. But I was also over oiling the extruder. I think I may just put a drop or so on the filament every once in awhile and forget the cup idea. I think it's caused most of my issues I've been dealing with lately. But really Just not knowing how to properly execute some of these ideas has been the problem. Hopefully my learning curve won't be so steep from here on. I'm going to change my fan so it goes on all the time as well mark. Thanks again for your help.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Oil is good for PLA use, but if you are getting more than a fine 'sheen' of oil coming out of the oiler -- it is too much.

5. astro boy

astro boy Member

ok heres a dumb question... i installed my new stock fan and forgot if the label should be facing in or out.... anyone? I did a print yesterday and about 10 hours in the extruder clogged and im wondering if this is the reason, that the extruder fan is facing the wrong way?
    thanks

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. astro boy

astro boy Member

Thanks Mark
    Sorry about not posting a new thread on this. I thought about it but figured it was somewhat related. I'm sure there will be more issues and I will correct that in the future. One thing I have learned is that there's no such thing as just being able to hit a magic button and it prints perfectly! I had this crazy idea at one time that would be the case lol
    Thanks again!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.