1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jogul, Feb 10, 2018.

1. jogul

jogul Member

I have tried everything I can think of including a cover for the front. I've increased the raft thickness, slowed down the print speed, used blue tape with glue stick and hair spray, lowered the infill amount. I still get warping. I know its hard to print ABS on an unheated. I have not tried an ABS slury yet. I guess that is my only option. The only reason I am trying to get this to work is I have a roll of Orange ABS that I want to use to make parts for my Prusa MK2s. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sorry, without a heated bed ABS will be ... difficult if not impossible. It is just that way. There are a LOT of other filaments you CAN do without a bed heater, but not really ABS. On the plus side parts made with PLA will last really well :) I have built a lot of printer bits out of PLA.

3. jogul

jogul Member

Yeah, coming to that conclusion. I have some parts that are close to high heat and since the ABS doesn't work I will go to PETG. That, so far, has printed well.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep ABS won't happen on a cold bed. Is impossible. If you need them printed to get back online PM me

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

BluPrint works and has higher heat deflection than ABS :) To say nothing of PET or PETG

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am pretty sure every printed part in the Mrk3 is PET

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can get away with PLA, so anything is viable really. I have printed a few extruders in PLA -- they work fine. I have printed every printable part in the Robo and they also work fine. Really nothing printed is subject to enough heat to matter.

PET/G are fine, but people need to read the specs -- they are not high heat deflection filaments. :) ABS/BluPrint/PC those are.

Geof likes this.
  8. jogul

jogul Member

I'm going to remake the extruder cover in PETG. I don't have the Prusa orange but I have grey for now. That should work. It would be great if Robo came up with a heated bed accessory for the C2. I bet they would sell a lot of them.

Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is such a small bed that I imagine (that is all it is) they thought it wasn't worth the effort.
    Someone (I think) did start on a heated bed project :) It would be easy to add one, the controller supports it.

10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just requires some wiring and a silicone or board heater, it will be slow unless you change the PSU to 24V.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will get a bit more complicated if you keep the bed removable, but yea ... not a complex thing.
    Since we know now that the rest of the electrical side is rated for 24v (unlike we were initially led to believe) I think that a 24v upgrade is a good standard idea anyway :)

Geof likes this.