1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by RotusZ, Apr 9, 2016.

1. grant

grant New Member

Anyone have any issues with the hobb gear and the extruder motor jamming? It's like something isn't lined up right but I must have checked it 10 times. It also stops extruding at times and makes clicking noises. Just not sure what the problem is.

2. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Try loosening the tension nut. I run mine like one turn from full loose. If I run it too tight I have issues.

3. grant

grant New Member

I have loosened it all the way and it still does the same thing

4. albert3d

albert3d Member

Do you have a picture of your Hobb? Wonder if it is one of the originals that they updated. Is it a genuine e3d Titan?

5. grant

grant New Member

I figured it out, my bed is very unlevel at different points. When it was clicking the nozzle was too close to the bed and causing it jam up. I've since moved to mesh leveling . And it seems to help it a little bit.

albert3d likes this.
  6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@grant That is why I modified Marlin to use either MESH or UBL, warped beds cannot be handled with LINEAR auto level at all and BILINEAR is only marginally better. Glad it is working for you.

7. grant

grant New Member

Should I have something in my script on startup for the mesh leveling? I saved it with m500 once I got it leveled, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have anything in the gcode before the print starts besides m851

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have M420 S1 in mine just before homing, just to make sure it is active.

#428 WheresWaldo, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  9. grant

grant New Member

I added that to my gcode, even though I did the mesh leveling there is still some parts of the bed that aren't squishing down the first layer like other parts of the bed.

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Then adjust the MESH, I use UBL so that can use the M421 command to adjust a single point in the mesh. Not sure if MESH has an equivalent.

Found it, G29 S3

11. Jose Cuevas

Jose Cuevas New Member

I know this is supper old, but just to leave a trace for anybody reading I need to add another option ViaCAD Pro is incredibly affordable and has tons of features, I like it so much more than Fusion. In ViaCAD when I have a STL or a Mesh and I want primitive polygons to remodel, I can define a plane then use a mesh slicing tool, I can define as many planes (there's a tool that also does it automatically) and get the slices in the same layer or optionally in a new layer. Form the 2D slices (curves/lines/poly) I can model using that as the base. You can also convert simple mesh to solids but you run into a triangle limitation with almost every mesh I have tried, you can buy an add-on (power-pack) that extends the number of triangles/complexity of the mesh among other features. What I like of ViaCAD is that is well suited for mechanical/parametric design and not so much like others that lean into the clay-like modeling using in animations/characters.

mark tomlinson likes this.