1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Marlin 1.1.8 for R1 / Example Config Files

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Deneteus, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Deneteus

Deneteus New Member

Q1: Does anyone have the config files for the latest (February 2018) version of Marlin for the R1? I have a stock unit that I want to upgrade to the latest Bugfix version. I want to be able to compile with Linear Advance enabled and eventually add Auto Leveling. I'll take any links to pre-compiled versions as well. I searched Google and this Forum and I didn't see any Google Drive shares or FTP an with latest files.

Note: I have built custom firmware for the other printers and I routinely submit feedback to MarlinDev.

* I found the thread that says 1.1.7 and downloaded the configs.
    * I need to verify what rods the printer is using.

Q2: Is there any reason nobody has submitted an example configs for the R1 to MarlinDev via GitHub?

Thanks in Advance!

#1 Deneteus, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

What slicer do you use?

I ask because LINEAR_ADVANCE messes with a lot of slicer settings, that is why I never enabled it in previous versions of Marlin for the R1. You have to completely disable Coasting and Extra Restart Distance (what S3D calls them) in your slicer.

Although I haven't seen him around lately @danzca6 was thinking of posting Marlin 1.1.8 files preconfigured for the R1, I stopped supporting the R1 with 1.1.7.

To answer your questions
    1. Depends on which version of the R1 you have
    2. Because that is Robo's responsibility as a company that profits off the Marlin developers work. They should be the ones to do an "official" configuration.

Deneteus likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The only significant difference to Marlin is which style of Z you have. There were (across the R1 series) 4 variations of the Z steps based on threaded rod styles and the R1+ had leadscrews. All different Z steps. Otherwise, it is all pretty much the same. You can download the official Robo firmware from their site for your printer and then copy out this line:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,2267.72,723.38}

and replace the matching line in the new version with your numbers. That example is for an older unit (I think with 8mm threaded rods) so don't just copy paste that in, find yours and use that :)

Deneteus likes this.
  4. Deneteus

Deneteus New Member

I found that version info and the info about the Z switches as well last night. Downloaded one of the Auto Leveling versions and just diffed v1.1.7 with v1.1.8 Bugfix. I also grabbed the graphic file from the previous build.

Were the LCD's and Ramps Board the same for the first four versions of the R1?

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The R1 +PLUS uses a privately modeled board that is 100% RAMPS compatible, just not fully populated with all connectors. It was primarily a money saving effort.

Deneteus likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and there were no LCDs included stock.

Deneteus likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Funny guy :)

Geof likes this.
  9. Deneteus

Deneteus New Member

Gotcha. I had seen a Youtube video of someone with an LCD. I am assuming they added it after the fact.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Deneteus

Deneteus New Member

I'm subscribed via Github so I never have to ask about the new version. It usually comes up as a topic just by asking about features that have yet to be implemented. Major focus is currently going into the 2.0 branch and 32bit Marlin. They are having to fix problems in the code that were put on the backburner and add things that weren't possible due to computational limits.

11. Deneteus

Deneteus New Member

FYI, I found out it was the 2015 R1 Plus model with 8mm rods.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.