1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder Top

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, Jan 5, 2018.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have located this thread in projects as it is a work-in-progress (WIP), when I am satisfied with the end results I will be moved to Mods and Upgrades.

I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the plastic extruder that is used on the C2 / R2 series of printers. I have had an E3D Titan Extruder almost from the first day it was released. It was still in the box, unused. So what better way to use it than to upgrade the current extruder with this one.

For those that want to modify the top for their own use, here is the link to the A360 web details. The model was created with Fusion 360. The link will also allow downloading in various formats if you do not use Fusion 360. (Link removed)

E3D_Titan_extruder_top.png

I have printed this with PLA as a test. You need to support the top section (where the Uptown board attaches). I am going to reprint in polycarbonate before actually installing it.

#1 WheresWaldo, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The more I build the more I have to fix. I have printed several versions of this not noticing the big hole necessary for the cables to go through. Here is the current version, still at the same URL and available for downloading.
    1QT1a327cf2b7aa7c784068672e586.png
    Printing now.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Installed it this morning. now printing a test Deprime. Have to make a few tweaks to the model before I move this to the Mods and Upgrades forum. It is close.

There is a firmware change that needs to happen with E-Steps, in my testing the new number of steps for the extruder for my particular setup is 432. A smaller motor also works, I am currently using a 20 mm Nema 17 Stepper. This makes the entire extruder assembly lighter.

You can also change the steps via M-code, M92 Ennn.n where nnn.n is the number of steps you need.

#3 WheresWaldo, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Came up with an alternative that I believe is also reversible. The advantage is that you can go back to the original extruder if you desire, the disadvantage is that this extruder will mount 5 mm taller than the current one. You can use a smaller motor with the Titan since it has a 3 to 1 gear ratio and is not directly driven by the stepper shaft.

Extruder Top Alternate v4.png

Two M3 x 5 mm screws hold it in place on top of the existing top plate and the stepper is spaced to the left for the Titan. The right side hole is still accessible if you decide to do the Bowden second extruder. Must be printed with supports.

Link to downloadable model http://a360.co/2DgCgkz

#4 WheresWaldo, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

This is how the add-on looks with a stepper. The Titan is not installed so you can see how it mounts on the original extruder top.

20180111_073729 (2).jpg

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Here is a picture of the destructive replacement top

20180111_092812[1].jpg

7. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

Really cool project @WheresWaldo, thanks for sharing!

As you started using the Titan, did you notice any improvements vs the stock extruder? The potential longevity issues you mention are probably reason enough to warrant the upgrade, but I was curious if for example it's now better at handling flexibles, or if extrusion consistency has been improved in some way?

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I haven't tried flexibles yet, but I have a few samples. I suspect it will be much improved over the OEM extruder.

So far I do not notice any better extrusions. It was more for increasing the lifespan and finding spare parts, since none exist for the Robo extruder. As a side benefit the top is lighter with less moving mass due to the smaller stepper used and it is much quieter than the original setup. The quieter is relative as the other three steppers are loud anyway.

sgomes likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Replaced the destructive version of the Extruder top wroth the nondestructive version. It is much cleaner and easier to install. Works exactly as I had expected. With the 3X gearing you can use a much smaller stepper motor. I am using a 25 mm 18Ncm stepper.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The stepper I used was this one from Amazon. I used the existing cable so that I was assured the stepper would spin the correct direction. This was printed in PLA. Since the only heat is what is generated by the stepper motor itself, pretty much any stiff filament will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10. Redriche

Redriche Member

Is this the final form? How has it been working for you? I am thinking that I will be doing this in the next week. (that and a buildtak flexplate system)

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Pretty much

supercazzola and Redriche like this.
  12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Thanks for sharing, I recently discovered part of my Z variations are down to the hex moving. Plus I just stripped it out while trying to put in a new hex hotend, so now I just want to mod it. :)

Any pics of what you have printed since the mod?

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

An update, my PLA printed part failed, during a rather long (> 8 hrs) print session. The stepper got hot enough to soften the part and then deformed to the point of failure. So I have since reprinted in PET-G. It has worked on everything I have thrown at it so far. Even on longer prints (longest so far was 6+ hrs).

14. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I have to put a heatsink on the stock R2 stepper, and even with that it gets hot enough to soften the filament to an eventual jam. I have been thinking about having a spacer made for the stepper that would allow me to water cool it. LOL

I have a spare Aero parts, so I will order in the rest to try out your mod. I will use PCTG and give that a go. Once you have the file done I have a friend that can mill them (he does a bunch of OB parts).

You are running the V6 hotend right? I have the stock E3D steppers, I bought a few during the sales.

(Edit) - I am also tempted to switch the gantry to a single 8mm rod per axis and then run a full on Titan Aqua.

#15 jwmueller, Mar 3, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes I am running an E3Dv6, but it wasn't a trivial upgrade. Required modifying existing parts in a destructive manner. I cannot go back to the Hexagon with what and how it was modded. It is much easier and reversible if you remove, remodel and replace extruder parts, then you can always go back to the original.

BTW, for all intents and purposes the model is done, you can download the latest 3D CAD Source or STL from the link posted previously in this thread.

16. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Thanks will download and let you know. ;)

Here is my problem with the hex hotend, each time it hits say a blob or imperfection in the prints, that is actually enough force to cause it change its angle. I even stripped out the bolt holding the hotend trying to get it to stop. Oddly enough I did not discover this until my shoulder surgery, and I have to change the hotend with one arm. HAHA Holding my thumb up to try and get it straight, I noticed it would always take another angle after I had the bolt tight. I have been fighting slight layer shifts from the start of this machine. New rods, new bearings (old bearings needed two rolls of blue tape to stop their play), etc.

It has to be an imperfection in the aluminium plate, so I took the whole thing apart to clear the broken bolt. I now found out both hotends have play in both spots available on the plate. (I need to email Jerry or check the threads, have not been active since the shoulder surgrey - sorry everyone)

I have a new Duet board as well, so I am really tempted to go wild on the machine and mod it into a watercooled monster with the TMC stepper drivers. ;) I will try your route first.

17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

IMHO (take it with a grain of salt) the duet is way overkill on a machine like the Robo :)

Could build a killer delta through

jwmueller likes this.
  18. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

P.S. get well dude

jwmueller likes this.
  19. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Thanks, been interesting. Yep, got the Duet for a larger project and the price was great. The larger project got even bigger and now sits in a state of feature creep. 300mm bed, all linear rails with belts for the Z axis, etc. Will share in off-topic as I get more of that built, currently trying to finish up the design for the sides so I can have them milled out.