1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered ABS barrel print problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeff Hamilton, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

I am using S3D to print this 12mm x 21mm tall hollow barrel and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am printing at 230 with a 90c bed with a .40 nozzle with .3000 layers internal and external fill set to rectilinear and I keep getting this seem up the side (hard to see in picture) and the small dia top piece is all muddy. Any suggestion on what I am doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if you slow down your print it will help. The top if "mushy" because there is not enough time to cool the layers (minum layer time in S3D ) set that to 30 seconds or so and it should help alot

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Somewhere in the slicer there should be a setting to "randomize layer start points" ... make sure you do that or you will get a line up the side :)

4. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

That helped a little on the top but the seem in the side got worse. Going to try and randomize the start points as Mark suggested and drop temp to 225

Attached Files:

5. Jeff Hamilton

Jeff Hamilton Member

Got the larger section to print better, but the small top section would always turn out muddy even though I slowed it down. So I gave up and switched to PLA.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Even though you normally don't cool ABS, maybe turn the fans on for just that top section.

Geof likes this.