1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adding a 2nd Hot End

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Todd Wessendorf, Jun 1, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you look at the current beta on Robo's GITHUB you can toggle a variable before compiling that will use 2 extruders. I am not a big fan of their beta firmware and they definitely say the dual extrusion code is a work in progress. But it is the only game in town unless you want to learn way more about Marlin than anyone should. They designate an R2 modded for two extruders as R2_DUAL.

Please note that the current development version of Marlin that Robo is working with is Marlin 1.1.6 (two version behind Marlin development). They have copies of Marlin 1.1.7 and 1.1.8 on their GITHUB but I have no clue how up-to-date those are with the Robo changes.

Christian_Hanseman likes this.
  2. Christian_Hanseman

Christian_Hanseman New Member

Funny, I'm in the exact same position as you right now, purchased all my parts and trying to get some awnsers from Robo to help out with the firmware side of things. Hardware should be easy but they are very limited on what they can say about dual extruder setup. So far this is what I was able to get from them.

[​IMG]
    Dave M (Robo)

Feb 20, 12:45 PM PST

Hi Christian,

You will want to look for E1 at the corner of the board, it is not labeled in the diagram but that is where it goes, you can turn the plug around if you need to change the motor direction.
    You can take a look at this article which shows a detailed picture of how to wire up your black electronics mainboard for your reference: R2 Mainboard Wiring Diagram

Best regards,

Dave

Robo

[​IMG]
    Christian Hanseman

Feb 19, 3:07 PM PST

Hey Dave,

Is there any information you can help me with regarding the addition of the bowden stepper motor drive pinouts on PCB board?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can review what I did for the C2 to add the second extruder. It should be a little more straight-forward since the R2 was at least originally designed for that.

Christian_Hanseman likes this.
  4. Reigs311

Reigs311 New Member

Progress so far. I have printed a compact bowden extruder and mounted it to the back of the R2, I must say it looks nice. The wiring was super easy also. They did the work for such an upgrade, just wonder what is taking so long? Anyway, here are the pics.

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am pretty sure the R2 extruder already has all the wiring internally too for the 2nd one, so that is a plus :)

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yep it is all there, I really think the issue is firmware and making it plug and play. If you download the firmware and try to compile for dual extruders you will get compilation errors the last time I checked, about a week ago.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That stinks. I had to hack up the version of Marlin I used for exactly the same reasons and I was hoping that they had it sorted by now.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Easier to take vanilla Marlin and set it up for two extruders than it is to take Robo's. @mark tomlinson if you pull mine, switch it to BILINEAR auto-leveling and then set up dual extrusion it should work just fine.

Robo put a lot of work into ifdef, if...endif, etc. so they would have one base for R2, C2, R2_DUAL and it is of no value to the enduser since endusers don't compile their own firmware, nor is the rPi capable enough to compile it in any reasonable amount of time (as well as its not configured). It is still easier to take generic Marlin and just configure it with the proper bed size and proper number of extruders.

supercazzola and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Spot on.

At the time we did that there was at least one generic Marlin bug around dual extruders that we had to hack about in so if that is sorted now I can just use generic Marlin for the whole thing.

#69 mark tomlinson, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    supercazzola likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I would go with 1.1.8. As it stands now, there are over 400 more commits beyond 1.1.8 in bugfix-1.1.x but the bulk appear to be for obscure stuff, LCD menus, example configs and things needed to keep Marlin version 2.x apace.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, I will give that a whirl now that the printers are moved and (sort-of) re-set back up.
    I think I still (somewhere) have the hacked apart version we did (that was still early 1.1.x) if worst comes to worst.
    I imagine it will be pretty simple to make the swap since we should have a working configuration.h

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just yell if you need any assistance.

13. Reigs311

Reigs311 New Member

@WheresWaldo @mark tomlinson What can I do to help? I am more mechanical than software savvy but I would like to try and contribute. Thanks.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Reigs311 if you have dual extrusion working mechanically, software or both fire up a thread and post the files and such. If you maintain the thread that is a huge help.