1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D block with Robo Hexagon?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Adam Laird, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

I just ordered a new hot end from Robo because mine looks like it’s leaking a bit around the heatbreak and nozzle. The heater cartridge is moving in and out freely, and the block is caked in burnt plastic so I doubt I can do much with the screws to tighten it.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this kit from Printed Solid.

https://printedsolid.com/collection...es/products/e3d-silicone-sock-upgrade-package

I was thinking that I could just use the hexagon, thermistor, and heater that come with the Robo hot end and install them in the E3D block. The block would take the silicone socks to keep it all clean and better insulated against the cooling fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

It will work just as you expect it to.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Seems a waste though if you don't use the heat break that comes with the E3D :) That is where the science is.

4. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

An E3D heat break wouldn’t work in the Robo hexagon would it? I’ve read through WheresWaldo’s posts about upgrading to a new extruded set up, and I don’t want to permanently modify the hardware to take the E3D.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Nope, the Hexagon heat break is not made to be removable nor is it threaded.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea then you really might as well just stay with a hexagon :)
    Seriously. There is nothing special about the bits you are considering using.

7. Adam Laird

Adam Laird Member

It works! I had to trim the heat shrink on the thermistor cartridge to get it to fit far enough into the block, but it’s holding temp much more consistently and I didn’t even have to run a PID tune! The clearance on the fan shroud isn’t great, but it’s PETG and there’s a boot so hopefully it’ll be ok.

[​IMG]