1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

ABS layer adhesion issues

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Mike Toole, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

ROBO R1+
    Hatchbox Black ABS
    245 degrees extrusion temp
    80 degree bed temp
    fan off
    Printer cloth enclosed.
    I would prefer ABS for finish part characteristics but am about to switch to PLA. the problem I am having is the layers are not combining or adhering properly to the previous layers. Perimeters and edges seem fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Please advise.

Thanks MT

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Higher temperature and less ambient air-flow. What you are described is normal for ABS in an open bay if the environment is not tightly controlled.

If finish is you primary concern consider things like epoxy resin for the finish and a less picky material :)
    There are materials that print easier and are structurally stronger and even even some that are also more tolerant of ambient heat so ... do not artificially limit yourself.

If you need it -- you need it and will just have to deal with the printing hassles. Bump the temp, slow it down and block off air flow around it as best you can.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

@Geof uses ABS more, but I am pretty sure not on a Robo...

4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Thanks Mark! I will adjust

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If the perimeters are holding togather decrease speed and increase temps a bit.

As @mark tomlinson states I dont run ABS on my R1 series machines for this exact reason (to much trouble on anything of decent size).

Which part of the finish of ABS are you after? Maybe we know of an alternative material that will work better for you on the R1. I'll be totally honest if clients didn't demand ABS because they dont want to move away from "familiar" I'd never run it. There are far superior materials these days (and a ton of them), sometimes you just get stuck :D

6. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

PLA is too rigid for what I’m making. ABS is usually tougher than PLA while being slightly more flexible. Toughness with some flexibility is what I am looking for. Not only hard and rigid. Does that help? Lol. What are my other options. TPU is not hard/rigid enough and a little too flexible.
    Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can look into Colorfabb XT and NGEN as well as ASA. ASA is pretty much ABS but can be printed on a "open" 3D Printer a little easier. on my R1 series I tend to stick with XT and NGEN. XT for functional- NGEN for somewhat functional but needs to be pretty.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Alloy910

Geof likes this.