1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Bondtech QR extruder and E3d V6 hotend: How do I make these work?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jacques LeDee, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

I have a new Bondtech QR extruder and E3d V6 hotend. I have no idea what to do with them and how to get these things on my machine and properly. I'm trying to do a good quality job, but I don't know where to start. I researched until I fell asleep last night, but I really didn't get anywhere.
    I would really appreciate it if someone would guide me through this. Trying to get this thing up and running today. My brother said he would do the electrical work, but I still need to do all the mechanical work. I have no clue as to how these things will mount onto the Robo. I'll be researching all day long until I figure out what to do-so I'll be online all day long-in case somebody can help.
    Thanks.

Matthew Siler likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I suspect you will need a new X carriage for a start.

I do not personally know anyone who has made the switch you are describing, but given the nature of the printer you can do about anything.

You may want to cad up a new carriage.

after looking up the bondtech change that from "I suspect" to I know you need a new X carriage :)

3. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

I have no problems with taking the time to design a new carriage.
    However, I need to know what stays on the old one and what goes? Do I design it to simply carry only the Bontech extruder and e3dv6? or do I need to transfer other stuff from the original carriage? And I will obviously need a firmware upgrade... How do I go about that?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

mount bondtech where ever you like then run the PTFE bowden tube to the hotend (which would still be mounted under the X plate).
    Has the advantage of less moving mass on the build plate, but heck if you are going to that much work you might was well go dual :)

6. Matthew Siler

Matthew Siler New Member

Have you found a way to install the bondtech qr. I am doing the same thing and hoping it is compatible.

7. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

Yes. I designed a pretty descent carriage that works. I'm uploading the .stl files so you can print them. You'll need to buy hardware (bolts, nuts, and linear bearings) to match it. If the files need to be tweaked, just let me know.

Attached Files:

Matthew Siler and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Matthew Siler

Matthew Siler New Member

Thanks, I am printing them right now. What did you do about adding fan, I don't see Any spot to add one?

9. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

Use 2 screws. Exact, tight fit.

Attached Files:

Sonny's Robo3D likes this.
  10. Matthew Siler

Matthew Siler New Member

Thanks a lot you have been a big help. Did you have to upgrade your power supply or the firmware for the qr?

11. Jacques LeDee

Jacques LeDee New Member

You gotta mess with the firmware. Get with matterhackers. They can walk you through it.