1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered resuming a print?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by billbreaker, Mar 12, 2018.

1. billbreaker

billbreaker New Member

Is there anyway to resume a print if something goes wrong after like 6 hours of perfect printing?
    In this case the power cord was accidentally removed during printing. Is the whole thing now a wash? If there currently is no way to resume, then there should be...
    Thanks,
    Bill

Ps I have the r2

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Understand that the printer consumes the GCode one line at a time and everything it does is relative to the last layer it printed.
    If power goes off (which, is why I suggest a UPS) the printer can't resume. You can fake it (in some slicers) by sinking the print into the bed (what is below the bed will not print) to where your print stopped and then reslice and print away and glue the parts together. Failing that if you know what layer it failed on some slicers give you a way to start printing at a specific layer and that would possibly work.

Generally speaking if it crashes, you are better off reprinting.

3. Thomas

Thomas Member

Invest in a backup battery power unit. I got one from Best Buy. Totally worth the piece of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have thought about that for some longer running machines, but most times (even more so if you have multiple) the cost of the back up and the maintenance of their batteries (to me) just arnt worth it. Much cheaper to just reprint. I would be curious to know which back up you bought and how many machines you can run off it?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you just want to protect a single machine from minor "blips" in power a 500w unit is fine.
    For longer intervals go with a larger unit and that is also true for multiple printers.
    Figure in many cases 500w per machine per 10 minutes down-time (note this: 1000VA UPS is designed to handle roughly a 600-Watt load). Sometimes they rate them in watt and other times in VA so calculate accordingly.

I have a 1500w system on the Robos and the delta (all of them, same unit) and will everything going still got about 10 minutes of run-time. It scales so with only one running -- closer to 30 minutes.

If you really want to live through outages get a Tesla powerwall, but if you want to survive minor glitches a UPS is golden.

Given the price of these sort of UPS systems if losing a print is even an annoyance it is worth it.

Geof likes this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good info! Will have to re evaluate !

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is easy to be confusing since they rate them inconsistently. People think a 1500VA system is 1500 watts (more like 860w) so it is difficult with no data to make a decision :)

Geof likes this.
  8. Thomas

Thomas Member

Hi Geof! I see your point but for someone like me who works many hours and had little time to get my printing in the reassurance is worth it. I print large and long Star Wars droid parts so reprinting is a royal pain and lost time and not as so cheap to reprint. Currently I have been using two CR-10s connected to my CyberPower 1500va AVG. I plan to get one or two more of these after I move and have more space. Ultimately it be nice to have one for each of my CR10s and my RoboR1+. So depending on what I’m printing the battery back up length fluctuates. It’s also cool as it had a display button to scroll thru viewing: battery capacity, input in V, output in V Hz Kw VA or %, and estimated run time in minutes (if power lost)[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Thomas

Thomas Member

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey you and Mark might be changing my opinion. Looking into it for the new print room for next month. Will see how it fits :D

Thomas likes this.
  11. Thomas

Thomas Member

I think if you are someone who does long multi hour or day prints then a back up power unit is completely worth the investment. Of course there are more super expensive higher capacity ones out there but I simply chose what appeared to offer the best features off the shelf at my local store and did a quick online reviews check. That piece of mind is nice knowing an extended print won’t be lost over a momentary power interruption and it regulates the power too both comforting features.

Here is what I have and have been very please with. Cost is $159.99 @ Best Buy

CyberPower Intelligent LCD LX1500GU UPS - 900W - 1500 VA - 9

TechnologyLine interactive
    Input Voltage AV 90-140 V
    Frequency Provided 60 Hz ± 1%
    Frequency Required 60 Hz
    Input Connectors1 x power NEMA 5-15
    Power Output Connectors Details 5 x power NEMA 5-15 (surge) 5 x power NEMA 5-15 (UPS and surge) 2 x 4 pin USB Type A - 2.1 A
    Output Voltage AC 120 V ± 5% - 60 Hz
    Power Capacity 900 Watt / 1500 VA
    Dataline Surge Protection Phone line - RJ-11 - 1 input line / 1 output line Coaxial - 1 input line / 1 output line
    Output WaveformStepped approximation to a sinewave
    Surge Suppression= Yes
    Surge Energy Rating = 890 Joules
    Circuit Protection / Circuit breaker

“A mini-tower Battery Backup/ UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with line interactive topology, the CyberPower Intelligent LCD LX1500GU provides battery power and surge protection for desktop computers, workstations, networking devices, and home entertainment systems. The LX1500GU uses Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) to correct minor power fluctuations without switching to battery power, which extends battery life. AVR is essential in areas where power fluctuations occur frequently. Two USB 2.1A charging ports provide charging power for portable devices such as tablets, mobile phones, MP3 players, and cameras.”

Geof likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That look pretty close to the same one we are using. 850-900 watts. Works well. For longer term outages you can use one per printer and gat 30 min or more easy.

13. Thomas

Thomas Member

That’s my plan to get one for each machine but I’ve already taken over too much space in our little condo lol so the one had to suffice. We have horrible surges in this complex. It has helped a number of times. Can’t wait to move. Settlement is next month only a few weeks away! Finally will have dedicated printing and tinkering space. Just have to hope I have some $$$ left over to get more backup units after my wife picks out new home .....everything hahah!

mark tomlinson likes this.