1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Calibration / Calculating Steps

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by izumi5188, Mar 14, 2018.

1. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

So, I'm not in front my computer for setting up prints, but I'm using Cura and changing the wall thickness setting. My understanding is that calculates the number of perimeters based off my novel size. So on a .8 wall, I get 2 passes.

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm getting lost at this point.

Also, thanks for all the info.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Neither @Geof nor I are regular Cura users but I will check to see

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Okay Cura uses some weird parameters Make sure Wall Line Count is not a fixed number under the Shell section. Cura automagically calculates the extrude thickness and adjusts it for how thick your perimeter is.

You may need to go into settings and add then adjust Horizontal Expansion if you are consistently undersized.

4. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Thanks,
    I know I don't have a fixed number of walls set. I'll have to check out Horizontal Expansion. Not a setting I've heard of.

I'll report after checking it out.

5. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I got the results I'm looking for. I'll try to pass on all the wisdom you have shared. After getting my settings back to the default steps, I was able to print a cube 20.1x20.1x20.1 . If I find models that are printing not to right dimensions that I need, I now know to scale up and down the model to get it fit, not to play with the steps.

My decagon isn't getting the same measurements from all sides, but in reality, I can live with what I'm getting. Especially after learning all of this. If you have any other suggestions, I will definitely take them.

Now onto understanding Marlin and trying to understand how to not need to level my bed every print. :)

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

read through @WheresWaldo thread on Marlin mesh firmware. :D its on the forum :D

7. izumi5188

izumi5188 Member

Thank's I'll take a look.

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is exactly the same % off on all axis, just scale it a tiny amount and be done with it :)