1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tips for 0.2mm extruder head?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by SolS, Mar 13, 2018.

1. SolS

SolS New Member

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to 3D printing; my recently purchased R2 is my first printer and I'm still just starting to figure this whole thing out, so please forgive me for my complete ignorance.

I just picked up an 0.2mm extruder head, and before I try to use it I was wondering if anyone had any tips or warnings? I'm using Cura 3.2.1 on Ubuntu, having followed the Mac instructions to load the profiles. I believe I will need to modify the printer profile (or create a new one) to set the new nozzle size, but other than that do I need to do anything else, like adjusting the flow rates or anything?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Print speed should go down by about 1/2 too

3. SolS

SolS New Member

Do you mean I should reduce the speed at which the extruder moves in X and Y? And by "too" I assume that means that I was correct when I suggested adjusting the flow rate? Do you have any guidelines for how much I should adjust the flow rate? Are we talking about turning it down to like 90%, or do we need to take it down to 25% since the hole in the extruder is a quarter of the area?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Adjust the print speed is really all you need .. it should be fine with that. Flow rate is based on speed.

5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Just adjust the nozzle size and maybe reduce speed in the profile.

I've been successfully printing 0.25 without speed changes though aka 50-60mm/s or so.

6. SolS

SolS New Member

Cool, thanks for the tips guys!