1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First layer splitting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DavidR, Mar 17, 2018.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

I'm trying to determine what is causing this poor INTRA-layer adhesion on the first layer. It's driving me crazy.

Attached Files:

2. Jerome Helbert

Looks like you probably need to adjust your z offset, The first layer isn't getting "squished" enough to force the rows together.

It could also be under-extrusion, but that is much less likely (especially there are no signs of under-extrusion in the rest of the print)

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Slight under extrusion and/or a bit too cold and extrusion. Heat is your friend usually for good intra-layer adhesion.

4. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo Thanks. Both recommendations worked. However yours didn't require me having to have too small of a Z-offset so it was the ideal solution. I increased initial layer temp from 200 to 205. Also, I think the underextrusion was likely caused by my linear advance setting. The automatic detection of E/D ratio is not compatible with Cura so you have to specify it in gcode. I was using a setting for a .2 layer height but my initial layers are always .3 so I think that may have set it off slightly. I changed it to start with settings for a .3 layer height and then manually went into the gcode file with a text editor and changed the layer height to .2 at the start of the 2nd layer.

Note: I actually didn't have to do any flashing at all for linear advance calibration. As long as the flag itself is enabled in the firmware the K value can be set with the M900 command. I am finding it to be pretty useful. I haven't had any oozing (with combing turned off) and it has allowed me to substantially increase my print speed. The only pain about it is that each different manufacturer/material filament combination will in general have a different K value.