1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed Lowers as the print head approaches center of the bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by D-Railed, Mar 18, 2018.

1. D-Railed

D-Railed New Member

I was just prompted to install an update on my R2, which I did. The bed had then been defaulted to -20mm, so it was air-printing. I have been trying to adjust the bed using the Fine Tune Z-Offset Process. The issue I keep running into however is that the line will start close to the bed at the end, and as the print head moves toward the center of the bed, the bed actually moves down (as evident by the z-screw turning). Once past the center of the bed, the bed starts moving back up to the appropriate position as the print head reaches the other end.

I've tried a know working print, and the same thing is happening with it as well. I had plenty of successful prints prior to installing the update.

Any thoughts on this one? I've not run into anything like this before and can't seem to dig anything up on it yet.

Thank you for the help.

#1 D-Railed, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

At a guess there is something funny in your scripts in Ocotprint or your slicer, or both. Can you attach those here?

3. D-Railed

D-Railed New Member

I can work on attaching what I have when I get home this evening, but as mentioned, this is also happening during the Fine Tune Z-Offset Process that I'm running through the Wizard. You can watch the bed and screw from the side as a line is printed from back to front. The filament starts on the bed as expected, then as the head approaces the middle of the line, the screw turns and moves the bed down about 5-7mm, and then it moves the bed back up as the head passes the center point and approaches the front of the bed.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

ah yea that isn't normal at all. I misunderstood. Reach out to Robo and ask for Allen (@mark tomlinson tagged him here) Something is not right.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Call robo, don't post here. Allen only appears here sporadically.

Geof likes this.
  7. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Seems like interference from the leveling system.

Geof likes this.
  8. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

When you loaded the new OS, it also loaded the firmware. It sets the Z-offset to -20 (a number so negative that you are forced to set the value). If you know what it used to be, you could use the EEPROM editor to manually set it, or you could simply run the z-offset wizard to set it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Unless you set the offset to the value it should be, the fine tune won’t behave...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. D-Railed

D-Railed New Member

Thanks for everyone's support. I was able to figure it out this evening. There was a bad spot on the Buildtak that was causing the auto-leveling system to think that the very center of the build plate (only) needed to be lower than the other 8 spots. It was then trying to print accordingly. I was able to get rid of the spot/tear and everything seems to be printing as it should now.

Thanks again for the assistance!

mark tomlinson likes this.