1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Y-axis offset adjustment

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeff Lastofka, Apr 10, 2016.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

To be clear, the markings on the bed are meaningless.
    They actually indicate nothing.
    The heated bed is where it is (there is no certain consistency where it will be in relation to the graphics) and the printer can mechanically print well outside those bounds. :)

zeroprod likes this.
  2. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

On my R1+ I scanned the bed temperature with an IR thermometer and found quite a dropoff toward the outside edges of the glass, so I added silicone heat strips around all four outer edges underneath. I think I got them from Omega engineering. It was about an $80 upgrade and took a little work, so not everyone would want it. Then I wired those four heaters (I think they were rated around 20W each) to an A/C household light dimmer and I set the power level fairly low for PLA and somewhat higher for ABS. Like around 1/3 to 1/2 power or so. I put in just enough heat to get the bed sorta up near the desired temperature. Then when you run the printer, its thermal controller makes up the difference and the bed ends up being a lot more uniform. I'm pretty sure I wrote this up in the R1 forums somewhere.

Like Mark said, the markings on the glass are just graphics. They don't really mean much:)

I now have an R2 and its bed scans a pretty even temperature all across the surface. I saw 43C when the bed's set for 60C but I've only been printing PLA so far and it's been working great (sticking too well, actually) so I'm not messing with that.

zeroprod, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. zeroprod

zeroprod New Member

Thanks Mark. good to know that the print will be ok outside of the graphics. I haven't tried printing anything that would be in that size but I was just worried. I am still new to using my Robo R1 + and I do admit I love the quality it prints. Thank you for letting me know.

Joe

mark tomlinson likes this.