1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dude........Seriously

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by adikted2astro, Feb 9, 2018.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

So what is up with the fabled dual extrusion kit for the R2? Does anyone know anything about when it's supposed to be available? I was told several times it was going to be released just before Christmas 2017. I'm really getting anxious. I almost bought the Palette+ a few times. Thankfully, my inner demons are more patient than I am and they've thwarted my attempts.

All the voices in my head are screaming for a dual extruder on my R2 and I'm not sure how long I can keep them calm.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@adikted2astro Depending on your use case, a lot of Palette+ owners will tell you that is an infinitely better way to go than Dual Extrusion. I would bet real money that there are Dual Extrusion users here that wished they hadn't gone that route.

It is coming, I can tell that from the Beta firmware that is being pushed onto Robo's GITHUB repository.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, if you want to really do this ... invest in that solution. Multi-material with less lag (due toe material changes/heating) is the only reason to consider dual extrusion and that is not a win over the extra stuff you get with Palette+

4. Christian_Hanseman

Christian_Hanseman New Member

5. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

I'm scanning through the old posts to catch up on what's going on and it would be nice if the topic headings were a little more descriptive than,.....say...., this one's for instance. Not a complaint - just something to think about to help your fellow researchers:)

And, since there's no actual topic to deviate from :) I'm hoping to find something that leads me to something where I can learn about programming the RPi to shut down after a print (and time delay?), so I can safely turn off the power (WiFi controlled outlet) from say a restaurant later in the day perhaps. So much good stuff to learn in these forums...

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

OctoPi probably can handle that for you :)

7. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

I didn't see anything in the settings menu, but I see there's an "Enable Remote Access Security Feature" in the system menu. I'm guessing that means I can get in from the internet instead of just from my local network. Then I could use the shutdown command in that menu I expect.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yep but please note that OctoPrint's security model is not very robust. As long as you know that you can follow some guides in the OctoPrint.org Wiki pages to set it up for web access.

9. Jeff Lastofka

Jeff Lastofka Member

Oh, no ! Someone could hack my printer to attack me while I'm sleeping:)

Thanks, I'll have a look at that Wiki.