1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved C2 X axis belt tension

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mheath82, Apr 2, 2018.

1. mheath82

mheath82 New Member

I received a replacement C2 after all kinds of levelling issues with my store bought machine and have had good luck with it until now. It hasn't seen that much use other then some small project pieces as I do all big prints on my Prusa i3 MK3. I attempted to print an object about the size of a softball and about 14hrs in to it (printing at 0.06mm) i noticed all kinds of X axis layer shifts. I scrapped the piece and started investigating. I noticed that the X axis motor belt is VERY loose to the point where I can press the belt together with my fingers at multiple points which leads me to believe the belt is skipping at med-high print speed. Has anyone had an experience tensioning the belt? I have not found anything online about it other than it shouldn't be needed. I did check that the connected rod is in place and there is no play in it's hole.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. mheath82

mheath82 New Member

Pic:

Attached Files:

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There must be something out of place somewhere. AFAIK there are no real adjustments -- the belts are even continuous loops...

mheath82 likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Because of the design of the gantry there does not need to be a lot of tension on the belts, it is not like a automobile belt. Since the case is used to locate all the gantry sections, everything must be in the proper slots, recesses. That should also square up the gantry and that keeps most of the belt loops tensioned enough.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If in fact it does need tensioned (that being the drive motor if I'm seeing it correctly) the adjustment (ONLY IF EVERYTHING IS SQUARE ON THE GANTRY) is to loosen the 4 bolts that hold the stepper motor (you can see 2 or 3 of them from the window pane) let the motor slide down and tighten the 4 bolts. It does not need a ton of tension. I'd guess that the gantry is not square which is allowing that belt to be loose. Likely a loose set screw and the pulley moved. But if it does need tensioned please take alot of pictures of your process and start a thread for the next person :D

6. mheath82

mheath82 New Member

So as it turns out it was not the belt causing the issue at all. The X axis rod closest to the front of the printer needed some serious cleaning and lubricating. There was a lot of drag, which caused too much stress on the motor causing the belt to jump. Once I cleaned up the rods, lubricated and worked the extruder assembly back and fourth to get some in to the bearing it loosened right up.

I'm happy to report it's printing normally again. Next time I'll look for the easiest possible solution before assuming something is wrong with the machine :D

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Occam's Razor.

Always go that route :)

Geof likes this.