1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Clicking Sound in Extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JustinDS89, Mar 21, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I have a fairly new R2 and noticed while it is printing it will make a clicking sound where the extruder is.

This has no impact on my print and everything prints great, but I was wondering if this was normal or if it indicates a problem?

Thanks,
    Justin

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

probably just retraction.
    I would not sweat it

3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Ah okay, I was thinking it was do to retraction. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something of concern.

Like I said it prints perfectly fine.

4. DavidR

DavidR Member

Sometimes I will have that happen if the spool isn't wound properly and the filament being driven through the extruder has other filament looped on top of it in the spool. I know that's not very clear but its difficult to articulate. This makes it harder for the gear to pull in the filament. Eventually it stops feeding altogether and the extruder just grinds down the filament. This may not be the case in your instance but something to look out for. I always store my filament with the free end of the filament locked down with a filament clip to keep this from happening.

5. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I have had that happen before, but in this case it appears to only click when traveling sideways along the X axis. For instance during the initial purge line (or whatever it is actually called) it will click probably 3 or 4 times. Doesn't affect the print, but not really sure what it is.

6. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

I have this happen as well when printing with some materials, however in my case it does not print ok. When it starts clicking I can see the extruder wheel skipping on the filament leading me to believe the extruder is clogged.

7. DavidR

DavidR Member

@JustinDS89 It can also be an auto-leveling problem if it only happens in select parts of the board. The way to determine this is to watch the gear spin. During a print line when filament is being extruded the gear should be slowly rotating clockwise. If it is twisting counter-clockwise when the clicking noise is heard (i.e. performing retractions when it shouldn't) it can be a result of dirty print bed throwing off the auto-leveling algorithm. While the "purge line" (aka priming line) is being printed the gear should not turn counter-clockwise at all except at the very end of the line.

8. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

The gear does not turn backwards at all during these click sounds which is what is odd to me.

9. DavidR

DavidR Member

10. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I will check those links out. Thanks!

11. Shrey

Shrey Active Member

Hi Justin

This happens to me sometimes and specially with older filament and then going back to the newer filament.

1. Take filament out and if you have music shop near by go and get a guitar string it should cost like a dollar and you should get something in the range of .22mm to .33mm.

2. Heat the nozzle to 230 and simply insert the string from under once heated and just keep pulling back and forth.

3. Grab vegetable oil and use like a tiny drop amount on your finger and just rub it through some portion of the filament and let it purge out lubricating the inside of the nozzle.

This is what I do usually when I hear the clicks and generally the clicks are caused by jams in the nozzle.

You can install a Oiler which generally solves the lubricating issue minimizing the chances of clogs.

Edit: Also an addition to that the larger size string you would insert from top pushing out all the remaining filament. There is a tiny drill available online but over in terms of cost effective the job can be done with guitar string.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 Shrey, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  12. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Thanks for the post!

I actually have used both a guitar string and the little bits tp clear out the nozzle.

I don't think the noise is caused by the filament feeding it appears to be in the side to side movement.