1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Prints Failing - Need Help Understanding Why

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Laura Kapp, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura Kapp

Laura Kapp New Member

I'm still learning the ins and outs of my Robo R+1 I've had it for a year and a half now but lately prints have been failing mid print. I've been printing from SD but have kept my computer connected to try and monitor the issue. I attached my latest log from my failed print ... can anyone help me figure out the issue?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, pictures would help.
    That print log you attached has no errors in it at all so either that is not the complete console log for a print that failed or the printer did not think anything failed. That doesn't mean it didn't fail, just that nothing caused an error in the firmware.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You may need to post a few more times before the forum will let you post photos so either post a welcome thread in the new members area and we can initiate a few followups to clear that hurdle (thanks Robo! -- they do it to cut back on spam) or DM me a link to a photo account (like https://imgur.com/ or flickr or whatever you like) that has photos of the issue.

4. Laura Kapp

Laura Kapp New Member

Apologies. The error didn't pop up until after I canceled the print, was hoping to reconcile it when I posted the thread

The error read:

<-Error:Extruder switched off. Temperature fell too much during print! [0.000]

<-Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting) [0.000]

5. Laura Kapp

Laura Kapp New Member

Not sure how much an image will help, files basically get anywhere from 10-20% finished and then fail. However, sometimes (on a good day by the grace of the Robo gods) a file prints without errors. Not sure why sometimes the prints fail and others they print without issue

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

7. Laura Kapp

Laura Kapp New Member

Thank you!!!

Since the issue is only happening occasionally any guess what the problem might be (fan or thermistor)? I went ahead and ordered a new hot end as back up if the thermistor ends up being the problem but other than trial and error is there any way to know which might be the culprit?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it is intermittent then it is probably the thermistor loose (or the connector to it loose).
    It could be the fan, the only way to figure that out is experimentation :(
    If it starts failing more consistently you can try adjusting the fan speeds to see if that matters, but in general it is almost always the thermsitor. You could try to wiggle the wiring harness down at the hotend with it heated and sitting in the center of the bed. You may be able to reproduce the error that way. If so -- it is certainly the thermistor

9. Laura Kapp

Laura Kapp New Member

Good to know. Glad I went ahead and ordered the replacement head. Is there a way to replace the thermistor without purchasing a new hot end entirely?

10. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

The thermistor could be ordered separately if that is the only part which is bad. The older models had the thermistor connected with a band around the heat block. The later version hot end that you ordered has a metal thermistor connected with a set screw into the heat block. That version is more reliable, and you should use that instead of the older band style. Is this what you have or is your model different?

11. Laura Kapp

Laura Kapp New Member

Mine seems to be the newer version. It was purchased in November 2016 and does have a screw that secures it to the block like what is shown in the "Replacing the heater core and thermistor on your R1+ hotend" troubleshooting page. Although when I loosened the screw the metal piece didn't want to budge from the block, I decided not to force it because I was afraid of making matters worse and completely ripping the wires from the metal end...

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That means the cartridge is held in place with melted plastic remnants probably. That or when the set-screw was used it deformed the cartridge enough to bind it in there. The Hexagon does not have readily available spare thermistors of the style Robo uses (they are unique oddly) so a new hotend is the best bet.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ditto. Ask Robo for a few spare thermistors (with wires) , they will likely send them your way for you, always have in the past when I ordered a hexagon. Then to get yours out carefully drill out the thermistor (once the drill grabs the case it typically falls out) just dont go to hard or fast with it. I use a penvice and a drill bit and do it by hand.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Robo's website used to show thermisors a few months ago. I don't see any now. Contact customer support. I don't know what they cost now but the last time I needed one it was $5 plus shipping. They have a lot of parts which are available but are not listed on their website. You could order a spare thermistor in addition to a hot end to save on shipping.

Another option is to order a cheap one from China which might fit but I'm not sure. I see that the wire is very long, and will have to be tied up or shortened. Take a look at this one for example: (Link Removed by Moderator- part will not work)

#14 BrooklynBay, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018
  15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the barrel is to long for the hexagon. The barrel on the hexagon is just a few mm deep and cannot be drilled further as it is perpendicular to the threads in the heat block. I've removed the link to avoid any possible issues.

16. DRas

DRas New Member

Greetings,

I'm new here and a new R1+ owner. Having trouble with prints intermittently stopping mid print. Was running through the USB cable but have tried it untethered as well with similar intermittent results. At this point I'm wasting a lot of filament and time with failed prints. Sorry for the newbie question, but how does one get to these error logs to see if I have a similar temp fall issue? I'm running Matter Control 1.5.

Thanks,
    Dave

17. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@DRas Start a new thread upload pictures if you can, tell us the model you are trying to print, what type of filament, settings, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.