1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Layer Issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JustinDS89, Apr 5, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I have issues with my first layer.

Some areas are too close and others too far away. Making the first layer or two look bad.

Is it possible to adjust the first layer settings to accommodate a slightly uneven bed?

My first layer height is currently .2mm and the rest of the layers at .1mm.

2. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

If your part will allow it printing with a raft helps. Did this start happening to you after the 2.0 update? Same happened to me after the update, I have to remove the auto level script from the gcode for it to print well.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I thought about a raft, but I think the part wouldn't look as good on the raft. It would make it more consistent though.

I'm not sure honestly. Started noticing it mainly after I started doing larger prints, but I think it was before 2.0.

4. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I may comment out the auto level command and see what happens as this is really making a lot of my prints look pretty bad just because of the first layers.

5. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

That's what Im doing currently, if I leave it on it as if my bed is unlevel on 1 side, one side t lays down nice flat even extrusion and the other side will either be high or too low, I level my bed with a dial indicator so I know it's level, commenting out the auto level it prints fine.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  6. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

What do you mean by dial indicator?

I will probably try that tonight or this weekend when I get a chance.

I would still be interested though to hear if there are any first layer adjustments I can make to also help with this in the slicer.

#6 JustinDS89, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  7. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

I printed up a mount for the print head for one of these, then I do the bed level wizard and adjust the knobs on the bed until all 4 corners are at 0.

[​IMG]

JustinDS89 likes this.
  8. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Ah okay, interesting. Never thought to really do something like this. I just use a feeler gauge between the nozzle and bed. This isn't exactly a perfect method though as you have to kind of feel the gap between the bed and nozzle and compare.

I could see using a dial indicator may be a more accurate method of measuring the distance.

Do you have a STL of the model you used for the mount? If not that is fine. I would be interested in trying this though and see how it works.

9. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

This is only for bed leveling not for the Z-offset (I use a feeler gauge for that also). There is a bed level wizard that moves the print head to the 4 different corners of the bed, then you make the adjustments on the knobs on the bottom of the bed.

I can send (or post up) the .stl but one thing you have to be aware of is that you can not mount the indicator until the bed leveling wizard has been initiated (choose manual not guided) and the print head is in position, you can leave the mount on (I leave it on always) but do not put the indicator on until ready to start the 1st corner, it just slides in, zero the indicator, then go from corner to corner and adjust as necessary until you get them all to zero. I'll post it up when I get home after work.

10. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Awesome, yeah that is what I was interested in was leveling the bed at the four corners with the indicator. It sounds like it would work quite well to get the bed level and even. The Z-offset I can adjust easily after that.

It would be really appreciated if you could when you get the time.

Thanks again!

11. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

.stl is attached. This is just a simple bracket, most indicators have a 3/8" stem on it and the stem just slides into the large center hole (AFTER THE PRINT HEAD IS IN POSITION). The small hole on the side is 3mm on one side and 2.5mm on the other, if the indicator stem is a loose fit in the bracket you can insert a M3 screw into the side with the larger hole and it will pinch the slot closed to provide a better grip on the stem.

The 2 small mounting holes on the plate thread into the 2 brass threaded inserts already on the print head using M3 x 6mm screws. I printed this with 100% infill so there was some plastic for the screw to cut threads into. I actually didn't even need the screw the stem fits in nice and tight.. so far.

Depending on your indicator you may need extensions for the indicator to reach the bed, I have some of these from Amazon but you could probably print a small extension rod with a hole in the end and thread it into the indicator as long as it's somewhat rigid.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

JustinDS89 likes this.
  12. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Awesome!

I wasn't quite sure how to go about mounting one myself, but this should help out.

I appreciate the file and will post back once I get a chance to try this out.

Nice model.

13. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Thanks hope it helps!

14. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Just wanted to post back.

I have not tested a print yet or disabled the auto-level script, but the leveling process using the mount you attached and a dial indicator worked perfect and I think it will be a lot more accurate than what I was doing before.

I'n the process I actually found that the back right corner of the bed won't really adjust. I got the back right corner as close as I could and zeroed the indicator there and basically set the other three corners to match it.

I think this will help sort out a majority of my issues.

Thanks for the help with that.

15. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

I actually had the same issue with the back right corner adjuster, the nut's on the other side of the adjuster are too small for the hex in the plastic frame so they can just spin when your turning the adjuster, it seems that the adjuster bolts were supposed to be bigger, hence the larger hex, once I finish some up other things Im doing I'll most likely switch those out to the proper size, it may keep things in check a bit better.

16. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Really? Interesting, I was thinking about it rotating inside the plastic. I was really sure what was going on as it seemed like it was getting tighter, but the bed didn't really change at all. I will have to look into this as I think that has been one of my big issues is that I could never really adjust it properly. Until I used the indicator I wasn't sure what was going on.

17. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

Yep, just raise the bed mid-way and shut down the printer, then unplug the bed heater cable and remove the bed, then unscrew the knobs all the way and lift the frame off, you will see where the head/hex of the bolts (I called them nuts earlier but the nuts are actually the adjuster knobs) rest in the frame, the hex on the bolt is a lot smaller than the hex in the frame that's supposed to hold the bolt from spinning.

18. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yes, mine spin freely and don't catch at all. I have a feeling this has been a lot of my problem I have been having.

I am having trouble finding the proper size screw and new thumb nuts to go on the new screw though.

19. Larry Garrido

Larry Garrido Member

I looked as well for screws that fit the hex with no luck, I went up to a M4 screw and machined the hex in my mill to fit the hex, I suppose you could do the same and use a dremmel or grinder to reduce the hex until it fits, just take a little at a time until it fits. You will however need to drill out the screw holes in the base plate on the printer and the plastic frame to accept the M4 hardware but there is plenty of material to do that.

One of the bigger problems I see is the plastic frame, mine is completely warped, a lot! If I set that frame on a flat surface there are areas that are warped by at least 1/4", this makes it difficult to level your bed as the springs 1st have to overcome the warping to get it anywhere near level, I find that the adjustments on the knobs are so far off that some of them are loose while another corner is near the end of fully compressed. Bad design to make that part out of plastic.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  20. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hmm, were you able to use the same thumb nuts on the m4 screws?