1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Bed Heater - Installing SSR & PID Control Instructions

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Perry Genovese, Jan 20, 2017.

1. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I want to use a 24 volt power supply to rapidly heat the stock bed with a solid state bed controller. The rest of the printer will run on 12 volts. This set up should enable the bed to heat up in half the time. The bed might not cycle as much since it will heat rapidly while cycling. The open frame of these printers reduces efficiency.

Here is an 8 Amp power supply on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019OOTL7A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ADRX48I9YMC3V&psc=1

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I am going to change my previous conclusion that 24V should work unmodified with the R1. If the board used was speced like a Genuine RAMPS 1.4 there may be an issue with the poly-fuse used as it is only rated for 16V. The Arduino is not an issue since the power is stepped down to 5V. I do not recall if the R1 or R1+ uses the same type of poly-fuse. If it does and you try to run the bed on 24V it will burn out the 11A 16V poly-fuse. Many just cut the fuse off, replace it with a solid wire and then add a 24V fuse somewhere in the heated bed wiring.

I have not seen readily available 24V polyfuses, but there are numerous 30V polyfuses.

To run the steppers at 24V there is a lot more work that needs to be done, since the RAMPS board also powers the Arduino, you either have to power the Arduino via it's own 5V power supply or via USB.

Other board makers have boards that can be powered from 12V to 24V now I am not sure the R1 has that same functionality since it follows the RAMPS1.4 board standard pretty well.

#82 WheresWaldo, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I think as I understand the direction of this post it is really the bed heater that is the concern and that is as noted -- OK at 24v :)

Honestly that is the win here ... there is not much gained by running everything else at 24v (not enough to make ti worth doing IMHO)

JuniorGamingTime likes this.
  4. JuniorGamingTime

JuniorGamingTime New Member

Ok so i've read most of the posts mainly the 24v part and here is where my question come in (In New to robo3d and the forum so HI :3)

**(Getting the Robo3d R1+ in a few day (2 day shipping lol))**

First as i can read im ok with using a 24v power supply to run the heated bed i have a few spare parts:
    - 24v 20a Power Supply
    - 24v fans
    - 24v Titan Aero
    - MKS Gen 1.4 Ramp (able to run in 24v)

Would the servos be ok at 24v?

i already have a Wanhao i3 Plus, so i wanna keep everything 24v plus its nice for heat ups.

So would i be able to just swap the parts in and the Heated bed be OK i know that's what the last post says but i like being 110% sure.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If by "servos" you mean stepper motors, they do not run at 24v or 12v... they run off of the current supplied by the stepper drivers :)
    The power supply voltage is not directly relevant. If the stepper drivers will run at that voltage, then so will the stepper motors.

6. JuniorGamingTime

ok and how about the bed running on 24v is that 100% ok ?

7. BrooklynBay

It could run on 24 volts. It doesn't require such a high current 24 volt power supply.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure the stock bed heater will run on 24v

9. JuniorGamingTime

Thanks a lot to both of you and for the fast responses
    well hopefully i get my tracking number soon and start modding
    Thanks again <3

10. BrooklynBay

Could you make a build thread with step by step photos when you start the mod process? Are you planning on adding a Raspberry Pi & TFT touch screen?

11. JuniorGamingTime

Yeah might be in a month or so, I wanna get a E3D v6 because there's just no good mounts for the Titan Aero and i'm not the best at 3d modeling and yeah I'll try to capture the process might stream it when the times comes on twitch idk yet tho

12. dylantep

dylantep New Member

Hello all, I recently got an abandoned robo 3d r1. It looks like the previous owner installed an SSR. I am having trouble getting the bed to heat up (works fine when SSR is bypassed) and I'm wondering if it is wired improperly. The + and - seem to be flipped from the pictures of other SSR's earlier in this thread. By that I mean terminal 1 is labeled + and 2 is labeled -, however it looks like it was wired according to this post. Should I flip the wires or does that risk damaging things?

Picture: https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEJmKPVRZCTTmKu57

13. BrooklynBay

Wire it according to the way it shows on the label of the ssd.