1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Flexible Filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JustinDS89, Apr 9, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hello, just curious if anyone has come up with an easy solution for printing flexible filament?

I was under the impression when I first bought the R2 that it could handle this, but that hasn't been my experience.

I have attempted several prints with eSun eLastic and they all failed within seconds as the filament basically just gets jumbled up and in a bind around the gear.

If anyone has any ideas or maybe a fix to prevent this from happening I would be interested.

Not sure if anyone else has had better luck.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Havent ran flexible on the R2 as I have an R1+ that is set up to only run flex, that said, flexibles NEED a guided path to and from the hobb bolt. You may look into adding a PTFE tube that goes from directly under the hobbled bolt that will guide filament to the hotend. As far as I recall this will require either printing a new carriage that includes space for the tube, or drilling out your injection molded one to allow for the tube.

May be worth reaching out to Robo directly and seeing what they can do for you, my machine has been left stock so I can assist better on here (a heavily modified machine makes it hard to reproduce problems to troubleshoot)

mark tomlinson and JustinDS89 like this.
  3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Appreciate the reply!

I will send them a message and see what they say.

I would really like to be able to print flex, but want to avoid any major modification of the stock parts if possible.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The C2/R2 direct extruder makes this a challenge. The R1 with the GregsWade was easier to 'plumb in' a PTFE guide for the filament. The direct drive on the C2/R2 gives you a lot less space to do that. Like @Geof I have other printers configured for flexibles so the C2 stays dedicated to non-flexible. :)

WheresWaldo and Geof like this.
  5. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Ah okay, unfortunately I don't really have the room for another printer and was really hope to be able to do with the R2.

I won't be printing flexibles that often, but it would be nice to have the ability when I need to.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

have you tried a standard TPU/semi flex? Still flexible (bit stiffer) and much easier to run.

7. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I have only tried eLastic which is similar to Ninjaflex and has a shore rating of 85A. I do have some TPU that is 95A and a bit stiffer. I could try it to see if it performs any better. Not sure though as it is still pretty flexible.

I will give it a go when I get a chance.

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

just make sure to go slow and hot...VERY slow. I run ninjaflex no faster than 15mm/s. Sometimes slower. No retractions.

9. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I was running at 30mm/s not sure on the temp as I'm really not familiar with flexible filament and was just using the middle of the recommended temperature range.

I may try again at a slower speed. Although, I had trouble even loading the filament as it would get in a bind before I even printed.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yes that is much much to fast.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Start by cutting that in half (and make sure your acceleration is tuned down to nearly nothing as well).
    That is why a different printer is so much easier :)

JustinDS89 and Geof like this.
  12. Rudi Schenk

Rudi Schenk New Member

I made some prints with nGen_FLEX material which is rated at 95A. Just by using the same settings as the regular nGen material, so pretty easy!

Have to say that the start of the print is always the most difficult. Whenever the first few layers are good, mostly the rest of the print will run fine also.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  13. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Ah okay, I will try it again with different settings and see if I can't get it to work. I would really like to be able to print in flex as I already have a few spools of it.

Rudi Schenk likes this.