1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Nylon Filament

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JWW, Apr 17, 2018.

1. JWW

JWW Member

I drew this up and printed it in PLA to see if it would actually work as intended and it does. It printed great too. I would like to print it in nylon (semi-transparent if not any more difficult) and looking for suggestions on what to purchase and naturally what settings to use once I buy a spool. If this particular items isn't a good candidate for nylon then I simply won't purchase any. Naturally I'm seeking from those with direct successful experience printing nylon. I'm using the R1 plus and very happy with it. Still using MatterControl as I've had no problems with the software with the things I've printed so far.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just be aware that (in my humble opinion) there is no such thing as "nylon" like there is "pla" or "abs". They are all blends of nylon. You need to get some from a brand you trust that clearly tells you what blend it is and what ranges to print it at otherwise ... you have no idea what you will get. Nylon is a very broad range of material properties :)

All that said I LOVE NYLON.

It is a great material You can undoubtedly print those in nylon. Which blend you choose depends on which features are most important. Look over on Taulmans page: http://taulman3d.com/how-to-choose.html

Most nylons wear like a son-of-gun. They can take abuse and last. While they may not be as strong as some filaments they are some of the toughest out there.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have tried all of the nylons (including some "generic" ones) and the generic ones are buttocks. The blend specific ones are good just understand what the differences with each one are (230 is a pain to get right, others not so much). Plan on spending some time printing test models.

4. JWW

JWW Member

... I really don't have any requirements other than trying to make it look similar to the original ones (see pic below). They seem a little flexible, definitively not ABS. They are hold downs for RV blinds for my daughters trailer. She couldn't find exact matches and asked if I would draw one up and print it.

Attached Files:

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nylon should be fine. It is "strong" but doesn't have the sheer strength of something like Polycarbonate. It has significantly better wear resistance though than just about anything. If strong is what you need, BluPrint or polycarbonate, If you want wear resistance and good strength -- nylon :)

6. JWW

JWW Member

... what do you suggest I purchase, where to buy it, considering my setup.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Have a look at the HOW TO CHOOSE page I linked from Taulman above. Theirs is top-quality nylon and they offer a number of blends to choose from.