1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Multicolor Change Script

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JustinDS89, Mar 31, 2018.

1. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Hello,

I have seen a thread on here for this very same thing, but the commands I put in Simplify3D don't appear to be doing anything as it just prints all the way through the model.

Any idea how to do this so I can change the filament to a different color mid print?

Thanks,
    Justin

2. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

It appears as though I had to use M0 instead of M600.

Would still be curious to see how others are doing it.

3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Okay, it paused just fine for me to change the filament, but now every 5 seconds after I changed the filament it is telling me the filament sensor has detected there isn't filament in there (which there is) and keeps stopping the print.

Am I doing something wrong?

4. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I'd simply turn off the runout sensor because you are tripping it changing the filament :)
    Or feed the new one down from the top or some other way.

6. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

I can get this to work with Cura and the post-processing plug-in, but I can't find a way to get this to work with Simplify3D.

I would really like to be able to do this with S3D too if anyone has figured out how to do this.

7. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I spent a lot of time looking, and basically found that the only way to do that in Simplyfy3D is to go to the scripts page and write some script that essentially replaces any line that says "Layer N" with gcode to lower the bed and pause. Can't remember the precise incantation, but I think that's it.

If someone else has a better solution, I'd like to know that, too.

8. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Did you thread the new filament through the wrong hole, and thus miss the filament sensor?

9. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

No I did not, I think that was just an error as I have done it many times using Cura.

I decided to more or less reverse engineer part of the the Cura gcode that is generated in the script section of Simplify3D. The output looks like it may work, but can't test until tonight unfortunately.

I will post back with results.

If anyone has a better solution or a solution that they have found to work I would be interested.

10. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

11. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Got it working!

I used the below script that I created after using the commands generated by Cura. It is different from everything else I have found through searching. Just replace the layer number with the layer you want it to pause at.

Code:
    {REPLACE "; layer 2," "M83\nG1 F300 Z5\nG1 F9000 X190 Y190\nG1 F300 Z55\nM84 E0\nM0\nG1 F300 Z5\nG1 F9000 X0.0 Y0.0\nG1 F9000\nM82\n; layer 2,"}

drbanks likes this.