1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed Grinding as it lowers - Z-Axis End Stop works manually

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BenJoeM, May 4, 2018.

1. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

So Tech support continues to treat me like I am a moron so I am coming back to the forum for help.

The C2 has been nothing but a nightmare for me and I can go on a long rant about this for another post. But in a nutshell after a ton of work and replacement parts, when I lower the print bed it grinds when it hits the bottom.

Tech Support recommended I replace the Z-Axis sensor that triggers the stop. However, I can engage it manually it will stop the bed from lowering.

Here are some videos to help:

Video of my activating the Sensor manually: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nA04YF-V3FlzQdYE2X_JPdjlEO02Ve7Q/view?usp=sharing

Video of the bed grinding: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vqvn-wy3Z5LrxKqJmvtEPpYxLJhdcx2M/view?usp=sharing

Any feedback or recommendations are welcome.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

interesting problem. @mark tomlinson can you double check the wiring vs your switch?

It looks like it homes but then tries to home further? At a guess I'd suspect that 1. either the switch is faulty or 2. the connection to the switch or to the main board is wonky.

I dont have my C2 with me to compare but possibly Mark can for us as far as the wiring goes.

Basically to home Z the screw sticking past the bed does down and triggers the lever to push the switches button. Either that lever is wonky and not pushing the button on the switch (needs replaced) or the board is not getting the signal from the switch to say stop I'm at home. Should be a pretty easy fix.

BenJoeM and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Geof has it nailed. There is not much there, the part (screw) that probes down below the carriage to trip the switch and the switch itself. It almost looks like it is trying to do something after the switch triggers...

I'd re-burn the SD card on the Pi in case there is something whack, but the switch sure looks like it is mechanically making. It could be bad internally or the control board could be bad or the wiring to the control board could be knocked loose.

BenJoeM and Geof like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mine came damaged in shipping and needed a fair amount of LUV to get it going right. Works fine now :)

BenJoeM and Geof like this.
  5. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

So good point, I recently received this image for the SD - Card. My screen had turned white and they sent me two new screens and a new ribbon cable finally turned out to be the need for a new image. While waiting I used a different image from a different user and didn't have any issues, I burned this image and my first print worked fine. I could tell that I need to put some oil on the gears since it was making some squeaking noises. So I pulled out the oil that came with it oiled up the center rod. Midway through the first and second prints, the Run Out sensor went off. For no reason. So I took the back off again and readjusted the location of the sensor to ensure it was in the right place. Since then this has been happening.

6. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Can you give me more details?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  8. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

So I checked the thread and I see you had issues with one of the sensors near the top and moved the bar, this is not one of the issues I am having did you have a specific issue with the Z-Axis

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, at one point the screw was missing the switch when the bed went down. I had to reposition the switch. The switch was too close to the side.

10. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

Well, I re-imaged the disk and started all over. Ran a test print and had the exact same result. There is no bar to move or adjust for this specific sensor since it is the screw from the bed that lowers and triggers it. So I think my last bet is to replace the sensor. But as I said before the sensor works if I manually trigger it.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then triple check that the screw is actually solidly engaging the switch. Mine was off by a fraction of a millimeter. Enough to not trigger it. It pushed the button, but not, quite, enough.

12. BenJoeM

BenJoeM Member

So I had a call with the the VP of design and we did a number of testing and they decided to replace the printer.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, well, sure .. that will fix it :)

BenJoeM likes this.