1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Flashforge Dreamer Mod Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JustinDS89, May 5, 2018.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not familiar with that machine, but the possibility exists that it doesn't support flash EPROM.
    All that really means is that you would be forced to update the firmware (recompile and re-upload) in order to make changes and that would not be uncommon in an older machine.

Geof likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Closed.
    Source.
    Sucks.

drbanks, Geof and JustinDS89 like this.
  3. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yes it does lol.

Unfortunately my options now seem pretty limited unless I'm overlooking something.

Either stick with the extrusion multiplier at 3.60-3.80 and figure out a way to prevent the grinding of filament.

or...

Buy a new board and set that up.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

http://www.flashforge.com.hk/downloads.html

says firmware is in flash print? Maybe Flashprint will let you edit it? Not really sure. I'd 100% email FF and see what they say.
    Or find a group that does it specifically with the machines. We can help with the how it should, but sounds like FF really wanted to dick with ya lol.

5. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Haha yeah, I have checked out Flashprint with my printer and it is very limited other than updating the firmware.

6. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

It is frustrating lol.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

yea I just downloaded it for the dreamer and see its basically a no touch update...hmmm...

8. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yeah, I'm running out of options. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and do a full upgrade with the DuetWifi board. Although not really sure what I'm doing, but could probably get it sorted out.

It isn't of much use right now with it grinding filament.

Geof likes this.
  9. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Will adjusting the esteps though help with this issue? I know extrusion multiplier is technically something different, but I thought it would effectively do the same thing to compensate for the difference.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

well yes and no. I cant for certain say it will fix every issue, but mechanically you are trying to cram 5lbs of poo in a 2lb bag but trying to use the software to make it fit. Not a good thing :D You can continue to try to tune it out for sure.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Perhaps there is a way to simply replace the firmware?

Looking around I see nothing encouraging. A Sailfish firmware (which is used on some FF units) developer said:

"The Dreamer is closed hardware, closed source. No it will not be supported and, as long as it remains closed, there are no plans to support it. Cannot support hardware for which there is no documentation on the inner workings."

Geof likes this.
  12. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yeah, I ran across that same post.

I think I am stuck with two options. I hate do dump a bunch of money into a new controller setup. Especially since I have never done that lol. I may go that route though if I can't figure something out pretty quick.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well odds are good something generic will work (Smoothie board or even the RAMPS/Arduino combo)

14. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Do you know of the best place to get a SmoothieBoard and LCD to go with it? If not I will do some searching. The DuetWifi is nice, but a bit high for just trying to tweak my older printer.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I usually go with an Amazon seller since I know they will back the warranty. I don't have any suggestions for the smoothie side, @Geof or @WheresWaldo might. Pretty sure one of them has used a Smoothie.

Yea, the Duet is overkill for this machine :)

JustinDS89 likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Not I. Most my machines are still old school ramps derivs with a few random boards in the mix but nothing duet powerful. Agreed- would not put duet money into that machine personally. Might make for a fun project if thats what your after though.

JustinDS89 likes this.
  17. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Yeah, haha. I was looking at Amazon as that is who I prefer to order through on something like this, but I'm not see much as far a being able to hook up a display panel and the reviews aren't the best. Just don't want to order the wrong thing.

18. JustinDS89

JustinDS89 Member

Really just looking to get this up and running at this point. The DuetWifi looks pretty cool, but a bit much for a spare printer lol.

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if I was leaning the way of a replacement board for locked out machines I'd probably stick with a cheapo ramps/arduino. At least then there are people who can help. Not sure the pin outs or anything really about the dreamer, but I'd imagine not impossible...but probably quite frustrating.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ultimately whatever control board(s) they had they have to be able to drive steppers I imagine :)
    Just pay attention and likely anything can be made to work.

Geof likes this.