1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved getting nothing after replacing extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Larrydoodoo, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

hello all,
    i bought this printer used and im very pleased thus far. I was having issues with the stock extruder, so i decided to chane it out. i bought one off amazon, hooked everything up as it was for the stock. now im getting nothing from the hot end when trying to preheat. i thought maybe ive messed up something on the ramps board, so i swapped it out as well, still nothing. Are there settings in marlin i need to change? also i bought a smart controller xxl to upgrade from the smaller reprap full discount smart controller. i thought it would be just plug and play but the xxl powers on but reds nothing. all help is apriciated.

EXTRUDER I PURCHASED:

upload_2018-5-23_8-50-51.png

LCD CONTROLLER I PURCHASED:

upload_2018-5-23_8-50-15.png

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So, a few things. There is wiring involved and obviously we have no way to sanity check that for you so all of this will be general information.

That is an E3D knock-off (not an actual E3D) so I have no insight into the quality of the components. It is possible (even with an E3D) that you have a new, but bad, part in there. Maybe the heater core is dead? Maybe it is wired wrong?

Also, your symptoms are too vague.

What exactly does "nothing" mean? Is it reading room temperature? Is it reading Zero? The actual details matter :)

If that LCD is a clone of the RepRap Discount then yes, it should just plug in and work (assuming the cables are plugged in correctly). If it really is the Full Graphics one then no -- you need to edit the firmware. The title is not clear "Graphic Smart Display" could be either. The picture ... not sure. Snap a photo and post that and we can figure it out.

3. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

yes, it is a knock off. ive tried other heaters from my other extruders that i have and still get nothing also with multiple wiring configurations. and as far as the LCD goes, the unit just powers on (blue screen)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The picture is of the Full Graphics so you will need to change two lines in the default firmware and re-upload,

The lines in Configuration.h that need changing are
    This line
    Code:
    #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
    needs to have // placed as the very first two characters.
    This line
    Code:
    //#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER
    needs to have the // at the beginning of this line removed.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

So still -- what is nothing? No heating with it reading room temperature or zero degrees read? Please be clear. What is obvious to you is a mystery to us -- we can't see it. Those are two completely different problems too.

If it is reading room temperature and not heating then either the heater core is bad or the wiring is bad to it from the RAMPS or the RAMPS itself is bad :)

If that is not the same thermistor type as stock then you will need to change that in Marlin as well. That would NOT make it read zero, but it would make it in accurate.

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

When you said that you swapped the RAMPS board, did you get an original one from Robo or an aftermarket board? There are several variations of these boards.

7. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

please forgive me for my lack of detail, im sure its obvious that i dont do this often. i get no heat what so ever when initiated, both heat bed and hot end thermistors are setting at 19 to 20C. From what im hearing is, that something in marlin will have to be changed. Also the ramps board is a knock off i had laying around.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is probably room temperature. So that means the thermistors are working (if the hotend thermistor is a different type than the stock hexagon it will not read accurate, but it is working). That means that the RAMPS is simply not sending the current to drive the hotend heater core. Either the core itself is bad/defective or the RAMPS is (assuming you checked the wires are good)

9. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

ive tried other heater cores from other extruders, one of them being stock. also the same result from the stock robo ramps and also the knock off ramps

10. BrooklynBay

Do you have a multimeter or a computer safe 12 volt test light? You could test the output of the RAMPS while it's in use to see if there is voltage going into the heating element or the hotbed. Did you try using a desktop or a laptop computer to test it (not the aftermarket Reprap controller)?

11. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

i use my laptop. when pre heat is initiated, the lights on the ramps light up as if its working. ill check again when i get home with the multimeter

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should have 12vdc (or close -- maybe as much as 13v or as little as 11v) on the connections that run to the heater core.

13. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\dogm_lcd_implementation.h:38:0,

from sketch\ultralcd.cpp:36:

sketch\dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory

#include <utility/u8g.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#14 mark tomlinson, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

16. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

I added the library. I currently have the v1 firmware and I'm trying to flash the v2

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well this error says it is not found:

sketch\dogm_font_data_marlin.h:12:25: fatal error: utility/u8g.h: No such file or directory

#include <utility/u8g.h>

^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

So you did not get it installed correctly if that is still the issue.

18. Larrydoodoo

Larrydoodoo New Member

not getting any voltage to heater core or cooling fan...tested with 2 ramps boards. maybe ive shorted out the arduino??

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Anything is possible, that is usually unlikely, but I have seen it happen.
    I mean it is either that or you have two bad RAMPS boards*.

*I have seen that too sadly

Geof likes this.
  20. BrooklynBay

Did you test the power supply with a multimeter? Maybe the power supply isn't able to supply 12 volts under a load when the bed & hotend activate but shows 12 volts without a load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.