1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tips for small parts

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Nathanael Roberts, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Nathanael Roberts

Nathanael Roberts New Member

Hey guys, got my Robo3d+ about a month ago, primarily to print 28mm 3d miniatures and terrain for my D&D games. I'm having a good deal of success with the bigger models, they look nice with only a little cleanup, and typically can be printed whole. I've probably saved about $300 on miniatures already with just the large models I've been printing.

I am, however, having quite a bit of problems with the smaller human sized models. A lot of smaller pieces are warping, have weird deformities, break incredibly easily when I'm removing supports, and and have a lot of threads.

I've been messing around with the settings a bit (printing with 100% fill, keeping the fan turned up all the way, keeping the print quality at .1, increasing the air gap to 0.4, etc.), cutting the models apart to print with minimal support, and slowing the printing speed. The print quality has definitely improved, but I'm still having a lot of difficulty with small parts, and trial and error has been slow going.

Has anyone else tried using the Robo for 28mm models? Any tips in general for small parts?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Threads and deformities are usually the result of extruding too hot. Small parts are also much less tolerant of fast printing, so you may need to slow down a bit and print at a lower temperature all at the same time. It is a game of compromises, always has been and will continue. There are no EASY button settings that work for all models all the time.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree. If you (for example) increase resolution (0.2mm layers ->0.1mm layers) you need to slow down the same amount (1/2 the speed). The higher the resolution you print at the slower you need to move.

The linear relationship is just a good rule of thumb. You can experiment to find exact numbers if you need.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I find with the smaller figures if i print 10 with slow settings and low heat and high fan i have much better results than going for 1 small figure. Gives the layers time to cool in between :)

5. evolver

evolver New Member

I want to print some miniatures too -- has anyone sorted out an optimal range for layer size, speed, and extruder temp? Im using simplify 3d with the r1+

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

The quality of the filament also makes a difference. I was trying to print some small brackets with one brand of filament, and had poor layer adhesion plus I was missing some sections of the print. I didn't have this when I tried a different brand while using the same settings. The first brand was able to print large brackets without difficulty but was unable to print anything small.

7. evolver

evolver New Member

which filament worked well for small parts for you?

8. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Melca. The only issue that I had with that roll was that it has numerous tangles. I have another roll of Melca which is fine. I don't know why this roll came so tangled up.

9. evolver

evolver New Member

i have a roll of 3d Mars filament which is super tangled. its driving me nuts.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sometimes its best to cut losses. Sometimes its best to unwind it onto a new spool and try to run it. You have to make that call :D.