1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

where can I get a replacement power plug

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Trevor C, May 23, 2018.

1. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

So although the touch screen is still not working as I have not heard anything back from Robo despite assurances to the contrary I am trying to print relying on the last settings that I had.

Now it wont power on. Turns out the plug has fallen apart !

Half is stuck in the machine and half out. what the ****. Its just sitting there on the desk.

As it is a sealed plug I suspect I need to get another one and wire it all up again. any suggestions what it is and where to look for one in the UK.

I'm now seriously fed up with this. It started out looking so good but.......... IMG_5412.jpg IMG_5413.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Robo should replace that power supply for you. Contact them.
    Sure, even if you fix this yourself still get them to handle it too.

Someone with an R2 can comment on the size/style of plug, but that is a fairly standard one and should be available elsewhere if you want to rewire it. @WheresWaldo would be a good one to comment.

3. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Not happy with their power supply in general. Recently had to replace the main board because the power switch fused and I couldn't get the thing fully ON or OFF and the stupid power switch is soldered into the main board, and even if I felt daring enough to de-solder and replace that, you still have to pull the entire board because access to the solder pads for the power switch are on the bottom of the board and OBTW, 3 of the four screws holding the board down can't really be accessed from just the open hatch - you have to rip out the entire base around the hatch.

Fascinating business choices.

Saying this on the verge of replacing the hot end on a two-week-old i3 because if the bed adhesion fails at any point in the print, it'll build a Blob Of Death around the extruder, completely destroying it in the process, so to put the end of this run-on sentence on the horizon, I guess having to swap a main board for a fused power switch isn't sounding so bad anymore because a hot end replacement on an i3 isn't nearly as easy as it is on an R2.

I complained to a friend about all the bad luck I've had with my 3D printers and he quickly corrected me that I'm having normal luck with my 3D printers and they're all flakier than crap.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

In this price range, yea... 100% agree. You can get printers that are solidly reliable ... not for < 2-3k :)

In fact, as much as I whined about my Robo early on it didn't generate the hatred that my SeeMeCNC delta did years later. While it is finally (mostly) working too ... that was a pain.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not that everyone has issues with the printers in this price bracket... sometimes you get lucky and everything works fine out of the box.
    The Robo is actually a little ahead of the game there, but even then it is too often open it up and ... fiddle with it ;)

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Any power supply designed for the Ultimaker 2/3 series printers has the same plug as Robo uses, with the exact same pinout. If out of warranty, Mean Well has a power supply that works, GS220A24-R7B

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Trevor C. We are happy to replace your power supply. Please send us a picture of the label on the power supply also, so we know which version of the power supply you have. I'm very sorry you experienced that.

Please let me know if you aren't hearing back from us within a few hours.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

I've found that pressing the power switch extra hard on one side, will mechanically reset the switch and allow it to function as normal again. Try pressing down on the switch as hard as you can until you hear a very subtle click. It may help to use the butt end of the tweezers to press on the switch.

9. nytcrawlr

nytcrawlr New Member

The same thing happened with my power switch on my Kickstarter R2 last year. Basically did what Jerry described above to fix it and thankfully it hasn't happened again.

Now, what I want to know is whether the new power supplies still sound like a jet turbine (or whine like a banshee until you smack it a few times to release the fan from whatever its spinning against). I had to install another power switch at the outlet to plug the brick into as it's just too loud to keep it plugged into the mains in an always on state. It is my only real pet-peeve with this machine, and if newer revisions of the power supply have been released without a fan or at least one that runs quieter, I would make sure you state that you want that rather than old stock or a refurb of the older power brick, just to be safe.

10. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Brilliant service - ROBO tell me that there is a new supply on it's way to me.

well done chaps.

then I can tackle the touch screen issue

XX

11. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

I tried, MANY times to do the press real hard trick, and only reported it to Robo CS once I'd pretty much determined that it would take more strength than I had.

12. Jerry RoBo 3D

Staff Member

Hi guys, We no longer supply the noisy power supply with our printers. That was a batch 1 item only. All power supplies are now without fans and are silent.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Need me some of that! :D

14. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I'll second that

15. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Well done Robo for getting me a replacement power supply. No noisy fan so we are back and powered up.
    Now I need to tackle the unresponsive screen which does not respond any of the listed fixes so i think i need to get the front off and get to the hdmi connector at the bottom of it. Does anyone have a link to instructions as to how to remove the front bezel and door - my head is just not made for trying to do it inside the machine !

Geof likes this.
  16. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

or can you remove the screen from the back?

Geof likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

19. Trevor C

Trevor C Member

Big thumbs up Mark

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well @Geof was the test subject that did this :)
    I did the C2 and while not fun it was not (quite) as not fun as the R2 ... there is a little bit less work involved, but it is not as straightforward as I wish.